Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

28 January 2008

Hey Dumbo

I wrote this on the wall of our prayer room...

"Hey Dumbo... don't take yourself too seriously."

I wrote it because the God who created the universe said it to me.

The significance?

Dumbo was an elephant with big ears.

I have a big ear.

It was God (as the British say) "taking the piss out of me"


Why would a Holy God do that? Because I responded to it. We can get pretty self important sometimes. It can feel like our pet issues and personal "burdens" are so huge that we try to carry that load.

That's something really important to remember when you pray. You're "partnering" with God. You're adding the "agreement" element into the potent mixture. It's a HUGE element. It's like the yeast. Just takes a bit... but the difference between leaven and unleavened is HUGE!

"my yoke is easy and my burden is light" in the Message translates out to...

"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."


He's a big big God who's done pretty good at this whole "world-thing".
We just keep company with him.
All day.

No comments:

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...