Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

13 March 2008

It's all pretty messy



And I like cream in my coffee
And I like to sleep late on Sunday
And nobody knows me like my baby
And I like eggs over easy
With flour tortillas
And nobody knows me like my baby

And nobody holds me
And nobody knows me
Nobody knows me like my baby

But it was a dream made to order
South of the border
And nobody knows me like my baby
And she cried man how could you do it
And I swore that there weren't nothing to it
But nobody knows me like my baby


I've been "working" on book for a couple of years now about the parallels between the relationships of...

  1. Husband/wife
  2. God/Church (His Bride)
And it's been tough honestly. Because every time I think I know what I'm talking about... I realize that I'm painfully inadequate as a husband and as part of the Bride.

The word that has been rolling through my mind recently is "Messy"... really about so many situations in life and faith. Messy things that are far from the absolutes that we've been conditioned to trumpet.

I love that Lyle Lovett song above called "Nobody Knows Me". It's such an intimate, detailed, closed-door conversation song. But the line...

"And she cried man how could you do it
And I swore that there weren't nothing to it
But nobody knows me like my baby"

... used to spoil this song for me as an "A List" love song for me. I pictured a gut-wrencher of a fight between lovers. Maybe an exceptionally harsh word? Maybe infidelity? I've been married long enough to know the feeling of doing something horrible to the one you love the most... and not knowing why. That ache feeling of just dying to say a word and make it right so that you can just feel whole again.

I have a great marriage and we'll be the couple that MAKES IT. I WILL have a 50th anniversary. But you know what? We do and say horrible things to each other more often than everyone sees. But nobody knows me like my baby. Relationships are MESSY, and our screwups are a universal human condition.

While studying prayer the other night, Dutch Sheets was talking about a fundamentally wrong teaching in regards to "Salvation". I've heard people say this many a time, "God loves you with your sin but He loves you enough not to leave you there". Well kinda.

This goes along with the premise about salvation stopping you from going in one direction and moving you another. And while these are both nuggets of truth... SALVATION is a supernatural revelation that changes your spirit and floods it with life and freedom.

What you do... WILL and DOES change, but it's as a result of the spirit of God conforming you to His likeness. If you base much on your "doings", you'll be a disappointed Christian. Because fall you will. We all do it. It's only because of...

2 Corinthians 4:6
For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.


...that we'll able to still keeping moving. It's a pretty messy with God too. And maybe this really is the story. Just a bunch of fishermen doing something spectacular.

You say you'll give me eyes in a moon of blindness,
a river in a time of dryness,
a harbor in the tempest.
But all the promises we make from the cradle to the grave,
When all I want is you
U2 (All I want is you)

No comments:

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...