Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

26 March 2008

Praying in Creole

I'd heard of this happening to other people but last night, it happened to me. Made my night too.

I've been running a small group studying Intercessory Prayer every Tuesday night in my house. Maybe 6 to 8 of us on most weeks. Really good time. Every week... something fascinating happens. You're welcome to come.

Last night, we had been praying for a while and I began to pray in out loud in tongues. We were reading through Pete Greig's "The Vision" and praying that God would stir the hearts of our generation. Good stuff.

After, my new friend Erica (who is one cool chicky), asked if I knew what I was saying when I was praying in the spirit. At first I wasn't sure if she meant in regards to what God was praying through my intercession, like in Romans 8...

Romans 8:26
In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.


But no. She understood some of the language that I was speaking. She moved around a lot as a girl and spent a good while living in Haiti, speaking Creole. Check this out...


One of the things I say when I intercede, (in the spirit of Romans 8:26 as it was just something that God burst out of my spirit, then mouth, without knowing what I was doing)... is over and over I'll say "Et Asi"

Erica told me that it took her aback at first because it was a flashback of praying in Haiti. People would say "Et Asi" and then "Amen". Meaning "as it is written... so be it" .

How cool is that???
Answer: Extremely.


You see, this is what we do when we intercede. We enforce the victory of the cross. We voice our partnership with his will.

Matthew 6: 9-10
"This, then, is how you should pray: 'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.'


I remember the moment where my first pastor's wife Andrea prayed over me at an altar and encouraged me to just let God speak through me what HE wanted to say. Words like "et asi" began to flow out of my mouth.

I knew about tongues when it happend. I used to hear my Mom quietly speaking in tongues during very reserved church services as not to arouse the natives. My Mom KNOWS prayer. She KNOWS The Lord. She wants it all and lives what she believes. When I was a drunken moron, and would get paniced thinking "I wonder if Jesus has come back and I missed it" (since I figured the crew I was hanging with wasn't going anywhere) I'd make up an excuse to head home and make sure my Mom was still there because if anyone was going... it was her. So honestly... if tongues was real for my Mom, it WAS real.

And last night... another mystery was unraveled for me.

What a beautiful, active, journey our faith is.

Believe first... walk where you can't see... amazing things follow.

3 comments:

Matt Vaandering said...

so cool

Mike said...

I love this. It is in these times that we really see the Lord present.

I love your heart for prayer and 24 x 7. I am also leading a group that just gets together and prays.

Dave Carrol said...

It's God's heart you know? As Pete Grieg's Vision poem says

"And this vision will be. It will come to pass; it will come easily; it will come soon. How do I know? Because this is the longing of creation itself, the groaning of the Spirit, the very dream of God."

http://www.24-7prayer.com/cm/resources/28

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...