Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

8 April 2008

Don't be a hoser... ban handguns

I absolutely defy you to give me a single reason why we need handguns in Canada. 1 reason? Bueller?

And I will not accept "protection of my family". That would be a great idea... shoot someone dead in your bedroom. Way to go Ghandi.
When I read the 2nd US Constitution amendment of...
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
... I still can't believe it even exists. The absolute abuse of this "right" of this is staggering to me and it really gets my goat (don't you be touchin' my goat) that this is beginning to be an issue in Canada. Not in my country man.

I'm absolutely, unequivocally, 100% in support of
Toronto Mayor David Miller's petition that he is circulating around Canada to present to Stephen Harper to ban handguns in Canada. I don't care about your gun clubs. Truly. I don't care if it's your hobby. If something needs to disappear to "keep our land glorious and free", then you need to say goodbye to your guns. Giving up "rights" is a discipline in Christianity that is under-practiced but should never be under valued.
"All food is clean, but it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall." Romans 14
"Whatever it takes they will give: Breaking the rules. Shaking mediocrity from its cosy little hide. Laying down their rights and their precious little wrongs, laughing at labels, fasting essentials."
Pete Greig from "The vision"


There is a surprisingly large amount of power and influence (not to mention REAL freedom) that happens when we give up our pre-supposed "rights" for the good of others. All gun owners are NOT criminals. But every time a teenager, hurt by simple things like bullying, finds a gun and takes it out on innocent people at school... I just cringe thinking how this could have been averted if there was not gun available.

How would you feel as a parent
if you proudly stood firm and said "it's my right and I use it responsibly... take off you hoser" and something like that happened with your child. Guns are a "right" that leads to no good for our society?


My position was solidified years ago on my last day of college. My mom came to pick me up and take my gear home for the summer and told me, "David your brother was kidnapped this morning." HUH????? He was OK, but as a teenaged paperboy in Brantford, people had jumped my little brother in the early morning and stuck a gun in his ribs. They blindfolded him and handcuffed him while stealing our family van long enough to rob a tiny little store of about 100 bucks and a pack of gum.

They parked and told my brother how to get out of the handcuffs and told him to get up when he thought it was safe... then took off in their planted car outside the local Dairy Queen.

My brother did not die from a gun... thankfully. But he could have. Very very easily.

You.........do not............... need handguns in Canada.

Sign the petition. Your rights are not as important as the safety of this country.



Don't be a hoser... ban handguns

6 comments:

Matt Vaandering said...

ive never understood the gun thing. I don't even see why this should be an issue. Everyone should just love one another. If everyone lived like me there would be zero murders on the entire planet. why can't everyone say that?

dwaneparsons said...

I don't really agree with the gun ban...
I don't think the crooks care.
Most gun violence is perpetrated either by a) criminals who don't give a rip about human life, decency, or rule of law; or b) domestic violence scenarios where the person doing the violence would probably use anything they had lying around anyway.
Crime is a complex reality in our society; a result of things like poverty, hopelessness, broken homes, addiction, our love of sin, and a host of other things.
There is no one easy answer to "solve" it.
I think that banning handguns is relatively ineffective - it just means the hoods like the ones who attacked your brother will just have to be more creative in procuring weapons.

Dave Carrol said...

Let me share a chat I just had regarding that Dwane...

X:i think the problem with handgun bans is....those who want them for illegal activities are going to get them anyway. All we are doing is making it harder to get them...but they are still going to get them

Dave at Work says:
that doesn't' mean that you shouldn't make them as hard to get as possible

X says:
but its not going to solve anything

Dave at Work says:
they should give law makers and enforcers every possible avenue
it won't solve all but it will help some and realistically hurt none

X says:
ur right...it wont hurt...unless i want to have a handgun

Dave at Work says:
i just can't for the life of me understand why anyone in a city needs a handgun

X says:
cuz a gang of street tuffs are going to break into ur house and rob you

Dave at Work says:
and you'd shoot them dead and for the rest of your life have to live with the fact that you've shot someone over a TV?

X says:
well...id say i did society a service

Dave at Work says:
ha, all it does is end up scarring you

X says:
im not worried about someone breaking into my house actualy

Dave at Work says:
and most people aren't worried about it but it's a growing issue in Toronto

X says:
it should be illegal to produce them...across the world...except for companies that sell to police stations

Dave at Work says:
totally... so why not ban handguns?

He then went on ask about I actually would solve the issue as I don't think this solves it... it just help some.

And I think it's people caring about people in a community.

Sidenote: He signed the petition.

dwaneparsons said...

I think I struggle between the "shot a guy over a TV" thing and the chance that many of these people WILL violate and kill you AND your wife and babies if they feel so inclined.
Enabling a ban on hand guns is somewhat to me like enabling a ban on cars because people drive drunk.
Driving drunk is a selfish, dangerous destructive decision. Holding up a convenience store and endagering and scarring the life of a college kid behind the counter is equally selfish, dangerous and destructive.
We go after the drunk drivers and their driving privledges, but we don't ban cars. Because in the right hands cars have rewarding and useful tasks to do. Maybe we need to go after these punks and their trigger fingers...
Two guys held up a bank with swords this week. 3 foot ceremonial swords. Nuts. These criminals will use whatever they can get their hands on.

Dave Carrol said...

Yeah i know... it's pretty wild. Now... I know that I'm bias in the manner that I'm not a gun-guy. I don't see the reason whatsoever (outside of hunting) and I'm not a hunter so I got nothin.

So the idea of banning handguns that aren't even in the ballpark of a hunting toll, just makes sense.

I watch what's happened to the states and just shudder. I hate the idea of the culture of fear combined with average people being armed to the 9's... coming to Canada.

Jeff said...

"We go after the drunk drivers and their driving privledges, but we don't ban cars. Because in the right hands cars have rewarding and useful tasks to do. Maybe we need to go after these punks and their trigger fingers..."

I don't think that you can say the same sort of thing about handguns...what "rewarding and useful tasks" do handguns have (outside of law enforcement)? That's where the comparison breaks down...of course we don't ban cars, but cars are necessary for today's society. Handguns are only necessary for holding up banks and for police officers shooting people that are holding up banks...

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...