Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

23 April 2008

Sometimes I feel I want to... HONK HONK... Runaway


Sometimes I don't get humans. If I was ever going to go back to school, I think I'd study Sociology. I'd spend many years and many dollars trying to figure humans out... and realize that I'm no closer to figuring anything out.

I've been feeling very pulled at from every direction of late. It can feel like a stress bomb of not enough time, energy, money and Dave to go around. And truthfully... lots of that is because I've chosen to serve in various capacities of ministry.

And no complaints about that. I choose it. I love it. It's part of my "calling"... and I'm one of the lucky ones since Freedom House is an astoundingly healthy church. No really. It's a bit of and oddity. This whole blog post is NOT about somebody in my church doing something stupid.

But man... even in an amazing scenario like we have in Brantford... it's more than enough trying to live the life of a husband, father, employee, minister, writer... whatever I actually am. But, when you add some of the human "x factors" life can get "Cousin It" kinda hairy.

Most people have no idea what ministers/missionaries subject themselves to. I was talking with a friend of mine the other day, who was sharing with us some of the horrible things her family (who do ministry) have had to endure lately from mean spirited, bitter people, whom they poured their life and time into... only to be paid back with lies and gossip and heartache.

So why would a Pastor fight through hurt on a Sunday morning, force a smile, and tell a gathering of "Christ Followers"... half of whom are growling at him... all about Jesus and his love? Because it's the only hope for ALL of us. And he knows it. And he's right. Even if he has to lock himself in his office after and find a way to make his flesh believe the truth living in his spirit.

One major variable about spiritual leaders that make their situation different is the "God has called me to do..." factor. It's a voluntary community where people attempt to hear God and obey. Both leaders and laity. And while there is far too much division between leader/laity and the there is less difference between the two than we've functioned in for years... there is something VERY God significant about not only submission to leaders... but honoring and blessing them too.

I'll tell you something. You can't treat your pastor well enough. Because it's super hard eh.

1 Timothy 5: 17-19

Give a bonus to leaders who do a good job, especially the ones who work hard at preaching and teaching. Scripture tells us, "Don't muzzle a working ox" and "A worker deserves his pay."Don't listen to a complaint against a leader that isn't backed up by two or three responsible witnesses.


It's not an easy scenario for the family of those laying themselves on the line either. My favorite song right now is "Washed by the Water" by Need to Breathe. It's written by a couple of PK's ("Pastor's Kids" as we hip Christian Culture dufus's say). I'm sure there's some "funky" incident at it's heart.

Daddy was a preacher. She was his wife. Just tryin to make the world a little better. You know, shine a light. People started talking, trying to hear their own voice. Those people tried to accuse my father... said he made the wrong choice. Though it might be painful. You know that time will always tell. Those people have long since gone, my father never failed.

Even if the Earth crumbles under my feet. Even if the ones I love turn around and crucify me, I won’t never ever let you down. I won’t fall as long as you’re around me.

Even when the rain falls, even when the flood starts rising. Even when the storm comes, I am washed by the water.







Beautiful. So we press on like it talks about in 1 Corinthians 9:6-7:

Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

Wanna know what my "dream" has been the last few months? Last month a friend of mine (another PK) took me out to Williams for coffee and Jones Soda. He GAVE me and Krissy a trip to an hot island somewhere for our upcoming 10th anniversary this August. It was a answer to a prayer that I fully expected not to be answered. Between kids, life, church and being broke all the time... we never go vacation. And frankly... I've never felt like I needed it before.

But for whatever reason... I now feel like it. Being able to lay down in bed at night and think about doing NOTHING... is about the sweetest dream around. As Kramer said to Costanza,
"In my mind... I'm already there".

I knew most of this the day I gave my life to Jesus. I weighed it all out. Counted the cost... and I'm all in. I decided that God is actually real. And the Jesus really is The Way, The Truth, and The Life... so none of it matters. Making God Big IS my life. There is nothing I'd rather be doing. And that's why good people are doing good things all over the world, even though the reward is mostly differed to another time and place...

...but Billy...
...what a reward it is.

3 comments:

Pete Wilson said...

Fantastic post Dave!

Dave Carrol said...

Thanks Pete. Really enjoying reading your blog as well.

candidchatter said...

I needed to read that. I think as "church members" we have a tendency to not even think about how life is for the pastors. They are still human, we know that. But for some reason they aren't supposed to be. Does that make sense? Anyway, excellent post.

Found you on MercyMe's site.

Heidi Reed

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...