Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

3 May 2008

Blue Like Jazz

I'm enjoying Blue Like Jazz even more than I expected to. It's the story of a stripped down, real life, searchin' for truth, Christian. Written about... by an admitted flawed writer.

"The churches I attended would embrace war metaphor. They would talk about how we are in a battle, and I agreed with them, only they wouldn't clarify that we were battling poverty and hate and injustice and pride and the powers of darkness. They left us thinking that our war was against liberals and homosexuals. Their teaching would have me believe I was the good person in the world and the liberals were the bad people in the world. Jesus taught that we were all bad and He is good, and He wants to rescue us because there is a war going on and we are hostages in that war.

The truth is we are supposed to love the hippies, the liberals and even the Democrats, and that God wants us to think of them as more important than ourselves. Anything short of this is not true to the teachings of Jesus"
Pg 132

I spent 2 and a half hours watching Shawn Marcum strike out White Sox out of the corner of my eye while reading this book last night. It was good for the soul.

1 comment:

Pete Wilson said...

Love the book. It was life changing for me.

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...