Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

28 May 2008

Brantford... what to do?

There is a brewing situation in my city. Brantford city council recently unanimously passed two bylaws -- one prohibits demands for unauthorized payments or other conditions of development and the other prohibits interfering with a development approved by the city.

Both are directly targeted at Native land protests.
This quote is from today's Brantford Expositor referencing Six Nations Chief Coun. Bill Montour.

"He said Six Nations leaders are busy preparing for Friday hearings into the city's request for an injunction, which includes asking for $110 million in damages and for the federal government to put the Armed Forces on notice in the event of a violent confrontation.

"Peace is going to prevail for a while, and we'd like to keep it that way," he said.

Gulp. The term "for a while" doesn't sit well. I was chatting with my friend Chris Friel last night. He was the mayor Brantford for many years and has a wealth of experience in this area. This is from his blog a few days ago...

"Our community is now trapped in a swirling vortex of finger-pointing, frustration and fury, but it doesn’t have to be this way. We can stop what we are doing, listen to each other, and find a common path that is beneficial to everyone. While it will require compromise, no one need become the victim of change. And things have changed.

When I was Mayor we had to deal with numerous protests, confrontations and occupations. I was told once that my enemies would sneak into my house at night and slaughter my family – “the streets will run red with our blood.” It was not the only death threat or situation where I was concerned for my safety. I write this because it is important that people understand that although we created positive relationships and produced mutually beneficially agreements, it often seemed dangerous and it was something that I did not take lightly."

This is a serious situation that Brantford is facing. There is a real threat of something truly ugly happening this Friday and beyond. It's an extremely complex situation that is clearly not as easily solved as municipal bylaws. As the mayor of a city that is on the verge of financial hostage taking... I sympathize with Mike Hancock. I also sympathize with the Native Canadians and the issues they are fighting for. It's time Canada TRULY make right our past wrongs.

So both are right? Both are wrong? What do we do about this mess? It's not a new issue in Canada... but it's raw and in the face of Brantford (The City of God). It's about to effect our daily lives whether we like it or not. Chris says the keys are patience, understanding, transparency and creativity. He's very right there.

From where I sit... prayer is VITAL. Prayer for city leaders to have wisdom. Prayer for Native Leaders to have wisdom. Prayer for peace to prevail. Prayer for solutions that are JUST. These are not pipe dreams... but to see them accomplished, Brantford needs "Polyphnumaclimatologist's" to step it up.

Poly= City
Phnuma= Spirit
Climatologist= One who changes climates

Changing the spiritual climate is DOABLE. It's accomplishable. And it can be sometimes done best by people who don't know "the answers". It shouldn't be the last resort of people who are a exasperated by not knowing what to do. Prayer is a forerunner. It's a powerful, sharp, effective tool that everyone (regardless of your knowledge of land claim issues) can pick up and fight with.

I'll pray with and for... everyone and anyone. You want a peacemaker? Pray. Call me... I'll do it. If this is going to be a national incident right around the corner, then you better believe I'll be right in the middle of it inviting the God who made things right between God and Man into the mix.



2 comments:

Chris Friel said...

Einstein said, "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them."

That's the problem, we need to start to view these issues with new eyes, and seek creative solutions.

It's the only way...direct prayer toward peace of mind, and good decision making for our leaders.

Dave Carrol said...

For sure.

You know, I really do see both sides of the story and I guess I hope that each side cares enough about finding resolutions enough to each other's side too.

Galations 5:22-23

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...