Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

6 May 2008

Great is Baseball

This is my 3rd year of MLB Radio. For 15 bucks, I can listen to any major league ball game I want. It's wonderful. I love the sounds of the ball park. When I was a kid, every night I would flip around my AM radio dial hoping the Cards or Indians were on the West Coast so their broadcast would skip across Lake Erie into my bedroom. There was a point where I couldn't go to sleep without it.

The little "extra" in the the MLB Radio service is that you also get to listen to any minor league game too. I don't know a single player but I don't care. It's the sound of a college intern announcer yelling over the sound of a train blasting past the left field wall. The piercing screams of 5,000 school kids at a 10:30AM getaway game. It's the faint sound of crickets in the Kentucky night.

"A ballpark at night is more like a church than a church"
WP Kinsella

I even had a minor league ballpark as wallpaper in my windowless bedroom. I can still see the fat guy sitting three rows above the visitors dugout.

Today I listened to the Arkansas Travelers Game. Who you ask? Does it really matter? All that matters to me is that next Friday, you can catch Midget Wresting about an hour before the game. Not to mention hearing the soothing tones of "Belvis the Black Elvis" (who incidentally endorsed Hillary Clinton last week). That's the swing vote right there brother.

My favorite minor league team is undoubtedly the Montgomery Biscuits. Today I had their announcers read this email on the air.
Nothing gives me more pleasure than hearing Alabama Homeboys givin' shout outs to the "Great White North". I desperately want one of their hats. This one in fact. If you feel so led... you should buy it for me. I'm sure it's the will of the Lord. I MUST have Monty the Biscuit on my head. I must. I shalt.

Baseball culture is one thing that makes me very jealous of the Americans.

I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game. It will take our people out-of-doors, fill them with oxygen, give them a larger physical stoicism. Tend to relieve us from being a nervous, dyspeptic set. Repair these losses, and be a blessing to us.
~Walt Whitman

No comments:

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...