Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

27 June 2008

Egg Head loves his booky book

 Every week or so... my BFF's at Zondervan are sending me new, really diverse, and interesting books to read.  Considering that it takes me many months to digest a book...  (I'm a "eat the whole scroll kinda dude") I'm at a record level of reading material these days.  And I love it! 

Looks like I'll have to excrete more often.
OK that was unpleasant.

But come on... I have 3 kids... the rumors are true.  It's the only quiet place in the house.
Here's what on the Carrol bookshelf right now...

  My Beautiful Idol by Pete Gall (who describes himself as "the fat blond guy on the corner in the African print shirt, squeezing himself into the yellow taxi") 

This is the story of a guy (Pete) who walks away from the secular advertising world on the search to be honest with himself and his God.

I love personal stories of God/Man messiness. You see, because that's everyone.  The winners understand this. Just so ya know

The Only Road North by Erik Mirandette

This is the book I'm going to launch into next.  An across Africa adventure?  I'm so in. 

From Publishers Weekly...
Mirandette made headlines when he and two friends were severely injured by a terrorist bomb in Cairo, Egypt, in April of 2005. His brother, Alex, who was weeks away from his 19th birthday, died in the attack. It was a tragic end to a journey that began in Cape Town, South Africa, months earlier when three young men (a fourth joined them later) set out on the journey that would change their lives. Mirandette had felt God's insistent call while studying at the U.S. Air Force Academy; he left the U.S. to help a relief organization in Melilla, Spain, then to assist earthquake victims in Morocco. But he felt he needed to see and experience the rest of Africa, so the young men took off together. His account of their 9,000-mile motorcycle journey is riveting. They faced wild animals, hostile people, civil wars, a lack of food and several crashes along the way, but this intrepid group never wavered in their resolve to finish the trip—until a bomb ripped their worlds apart. Mirandette reveals his own religious searching, questions and qualms, yet urges readers to make the choice to "follow and believe."

Here's the orgional story back in 2005 that reviewer referenced.  I love the adventure of life. I wrote this yesterday on the Freedom House Blog...

"God tells a story fueled by our obedience"
Me

The Almost True Story of Ryan Fisher by Rob Stennett


This is a real, honest to goodness, fictional story.  It's weird that I'm really not a big fan of reading fiction.  It's weird because I love stories.  An excellent screen-play can expose so much truth.  Maybe it's that books take longer... and if I don't like the story, I may not "learn" anything.  This looks intriguing though... 

"Meet Ryan Fisher. He’s young, energetic, and needs an edge in the real estate market. He’s found the perfect niche: Christians. His business doubles when he advertises in the Christian business directory, and he begins to think he could really cash in by planting a church. But when the church takes off, Ryan is in over his head."
Zondervan 

Church scammers... tonight on Fox.

The Deity formerly known as God by Jarrett Stevens

Jarrett does college and singles ministry at North Point Church in Georgia (Andy Stanley's church).   This is a deconstruction and reconstruction of who God really is.  He's doing what we're all in the process of doing these days.

The church is not going to look the same in 5 years.  If you don't change now... you'll be a dinosaur.  I love this quote

What is the difference between a living thing and a dead thing?  In the medical world, a clinical definition of death is a body that does not change.  Change is life.  Stagnation is death.  If you don't change... you die.  It's that simple.  It's that scary.
Leonard Sweet (Soul Tsunami) 

No comments:

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...