Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

18 June 2008

How do you tell someone... "that sucks dude"

How do you tell someone that they suck? Our music director just popped into my office with a disc saying... "Do you want to hear what a waste of time and money sounds like?"

My answer is always a RESOUNDING yes to that! This happens in radio all the time. It's half sad really.

I was the Music director... Program director... Morning show host... News director... and Janitor at our local Christian radio station. "And all for the low low salary of... (In cheesy radio voice)" I digress. One day a local pastor walked in with an audio cassette and an edict. He said, "I've written a new version of the National Anthem that MUST be played on the airwaves." We politely said we'd take a listen (after he left of course).

The gravely (I mean broadcast quality) sound of the tape kicked in to the familiar piano accompanied intro of "Oh Canada". I felt like I was at Maple Leaf Gardens. Then he began...

"Oh Canada... where homosexuals dwell
Our government is leading us to hell.
We give in to the lesbian.
We think that sin is cool..."


... aaaaaaand it went on from there. Stunningly powerful inclusion of the term "cool" in a patriotic song. Wow... what to even say. How do you tell someone that what they've done SUCKS.

Not many really take constructive criticism well. Like the people who rant and rave about Simon Cowell's cruelty. The man KNOWS what he's doing. He's not a guidance councilor... he's a record producer. It's cut throat and he's excellent at his job. I've been there. I thrown a friend's CD in the trash and had to tell them that it just didn't cut it. Hard work, passion, money... right in the garbage Literally!

In media... you have to have a thick skin. In ministry too! When it comes to our faith, we need spiritual fathers. We need friends trusted enough to call us on our crap. But coming from a friend who really wants me to succeed makes a big difference. We all do dumb things... frankly I'd rather have a friend tell me about it if he sees it!

Proverbs 27: 5-6

Better is open rebuke
than hidden love.

Wounds from a friend can be trusted,
but an enemy multiplies kisses.


On that note... another "Favorite Smooth Jazz Reject Pile" nominee came in this morning...

Hey wait... is that Jesse Barfield?

Stan... Jesse... Stan... Jesse...

Have YOU ever seen them in the same room?

No comments:

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...