Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

23 June 2008

I hope George Carlin had a change of heart

The problem with being the "Anti-God" guy... is that one day you die.

Like today for example. George Carlin... is dead.
Yesterday at this time he wasn't dead.
Last weekend he did a set in Vegas.
Today... dead.

The same will be said for me one day.
One day I'll be writing a terrible ad for perfectly fitted H Cup bras.
The next... dead.


I noticed that of all the prayers I used to offer to god, and all the prayers that I now offer to Joe Pesci, are being answer at about the same 50% rate. Half the time I get what I want. Half the time I don't. Same as god 50/50. Same as the four leaf clover, the horse shoe, the rabbit's foot, and the wishing well. Same as the mojo man. Same as the voodoo lady who tells your fortune by squeezing the goat's testicles. It's all the same; 50/50. So just pick your superstitions, sit back, make a wish and enjoy yourself.

And for those of you that look to the Bible for it's literary qualities and moral lessons; I got a couple other stories I might like to recommend for you. You might enjoy The Three Little Pigs. That's a good one. It has a nice happy ending. Then there's Little Red Riding Hood. Although it does have that one x-rated part where the Big-Bad-Wolf actually eats the grandmother. Which I didn't care for, by the way. And finally, I've always drawn a great deal of moral comfort from Humpty Dumpty. The part I liked best: ...and all the king's horses, and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty together again. That's because there is no Humpty Dumpty, and there is no god. None. Not one. Never was. No god.


I'll admit that never really dug George Carlin's comedy. Just wasn't my bag, but I respect that he was very good at his shtick. I also realize these quotes are a part of a comedy act. I get that. But George was pretty set on what he believed. When it comes to our soul... it couldn't matter less if you're a comedian a pimp, or bra salesman.

I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol was a guy nailed to two pieces of wood.

Jesus has an appointment with Carlin today. I really hope George had enough time to change his mind. Honestly I do. He was a razor sharp, intelligent guy. And I know that no matter how bad the church had pissed him off... Jesus loved George as much as he does the Pope and Brenda Lee the Scope addict.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

you know, I had similar---albeit less articulate---thoughts regarding Mr. Carlin when I heard of his death. This was a great post---extremely thought provoking.

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...