Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

2 June 2008

I'm such a nipple

So what? It's a nipple. A little round circular protuberance. What's the big deal? See everybody's got them. See I got them.
Jerry Seinfeld


This weekend... my amazing wife finished a 21 day fast. Fasting used to be one of "those" mountains for her and now... 21 days. Amazing.

My wife is a strong, accomplished woman who's relationship with God challenges me.

I was a nipple to her this weekend. Nothing crazy bad... just "nippular"

"Nippular"Definition:
Being kind of a dink
(Ironic isn't it how the dink and the nipple work together in such symmetry?)

In fact... I was even nippular to my kids. Hard to image that 3 kids under 6 could cause one to loose their cool isn't it?

Yet my wife does it. Everyday. She does it with beauty and grace too. I sometimes can't make it through the length of her shower (her one escape!) Ha. Awesome.

Throughout our marriage, Sunday mornings have been our worst few hours of the week. Both pre and post kids. We have more fights... more arguments... more "nippular" moments on Sunday morning before church than any other time of the week.

I'm not a big "blame it on the devil" kinda guy, but if I'm not right with my wife... I'm not right with my God. And frankly, the devil knows that he's not going to shake me down in church anymore. He can't use crappy worship and religious gobbledygook to jade me about "the house". God's there... I worship... period. But it's a whole lot easier to con me into loosing my temper at toothpaste, flip flops, and breakfast cereal. I'm just that gullible. And selfish. And egotistical. And arrogant.

Pete Wilson from Cross Point Church in Nashville posted a very cool quote on his blog from CS Lewis this morning...

Our Lord finds our desire, not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.
CS Lewis


I did not bare myself deliberately, but I tell you, I wish now that I had! Because it is not me that has been exposed, but you! For I have seen the nipple on your soul!
Elaine Benes.

It's hard to discover what nipples we all are. Especially when you consider how our selfishness plays out to those around us. The people we love the most. But that's us. We're nipples working out our nippular nature with others.

I can't tell you what a spaz I'd be without my wife's forgiveness and encouragement to move forward.

I like her lots.

She is a friend of Dave.

3 comments:

candidchatter said...

How did she work up to a 21 day fast? I have done 3 day fasts. It's not fun. Did she have liquid things like broth? Did she juice veggies and fruits? I know it's not the focus. There must have been good reason for the fast. But I am very much into Christian discipline when guided by God. I am floored. How did she do it? How did she break it? It's hard to break a 3 day, can't imagine 21. My mind is blown!

I'm a nipple too, esp lately. Thank God for my husband and children and their resiliancy (sp?). Good luck with reigning that one in. I pray about it often regarding myself. I tell God I cannot control me so He has to! Dead serious!!

Heidi Reed

Dave Carrol said...

She just felt like God asked her to. Nothing tragic... just an act of obedience to refine her. Yeah she did a juice fast which is often what the longer fasts consist of. I'll give you a few fasting links.

Actually a couple of years ago... I did a full year fast. The first half year I fasted meat... then slowly took away various things and then did a full out 40 juice fast to finish off the year. It was wild but I know it was God.

http://bigearcreations.blogspot.com/2008/03/top-10-fasting-tips.html

http://bigearcreations.blogspot.com/2006/09/fasting.html

It was funny because during that year, I didn't "feel" a whole lot of God "tinglies" but when I prayed, there was a real feeling of accomplishment in them

Brooke said...

I found your blog linked to Without Wax this morning. I have to say I appreciate your comments about being gullible enough to lose it on Sunday mornings over toothpaste, flipflops or cereal. Many a drive spent to church in fuming silence. We began to renew our relationship with God a couple of short years ago at Crosspoint Community Church, and of course words cannot express the gratitude we feel once we are settled in our seats on Sunday mornings. But that scramble to get ourselves and 2 young girls out the door just one more morning...why is it so emotionally charged? It's not like we are sitting around making mudpies until it's time to leave. Thank you for your honesty. We are making the effort to smooth this out, and it helps to know we are not the only ones stuggling with it!

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...