Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

9 July 2008

Derek Webb is really good at what he does



I had a song REALLY move me this morning. I had to catch myself to be honest because I almost began to get misty in the car on the work today. That's a tough move when you're ridin' with a car poolie.

I've been a fan of Derek Webb's since getting a pre-release version of "She Must and Shall go free" back when I was the morning show host and music director at Freshwind 99.5 in Brantford. I popped it in the CD player and heard banjos and mandolins and was kinda skeptical. As it turns out... the entire album was a beautiful, smart, collective piece of art describing the "tainted bride/desirous groom" relationship God has with his church. It's still on my ipod today. I even preached for a month to my young adult group with it's songs as the soundtrack a couple years ago!

Yesterday, I found out that Derek Webb is back doing the music free trade thing again. A couple years ago, he was involved in "My Free Music Friday", where Christian artists gave cuts away as a way to promote their music. Well now Derek Webb's new album, "The Ringing Bell" is on a REALLY cool site called Noisetrade.com. You can pay what you want for the albums on the site... or share the info with 3 friends. That's it.

"What happens when the generous forward thinking artist met the generous forward thinking music fan? They lived happily ever after"
Noisetrade


Pretty awesome eh? Instead of artists getting ripped off and nobody's music being truly valued and heard... MORE people get to actually hear the music and it's a cycle of generosity instead of greed. That sounds pretty "Gody" to me!

The album itself is really terrific. I mean really really good. The last track called "This too shall be made right" is a stripped down, powerful, declaration about the bleakness of human reflex contrasted with real, tangible, touchable HOPE.

there’s a time for peace and there is a time for war
a time to forgive and a time to settle the score
a time for babies to lose their lives
a time for hunger and genocide
this too shall be made right

I don’t know the suffering of people outside my front door
I join the oppressors of those who i choose to ignore
I’m trading comfort for human life
and that’s not just murder it’s suicide
this too shall be made right


There's some great love songs with lyrics like...

I wanna accidentally stay all night
I wanna read the Bible and I wanna make out
I wanna marry you all over again


Ever do "dating devotions" and then make out? Yup. Me too.

Derek quite openly speaks out against war. Whatever you think about that... he speaks extremely eloquently and with much genuine thought on the subject. He's a voice that should be heard...

I’ve got a killer instinct bringing out all of my best
I’ve got a poison conscience telling me to go with that
this may not work and I don’t guarantee that it will
but I’ve got no choice unless you tell me who Jesus would kill


Listening to "The Ringing Bell" makes me want to have an intelligent conversation with a smart Christian friend over coffee about how lead the church into being the best "little Christs" they can be. Christ in ME is the hope of glory.

What do you think about giving away music like this? I likely wouldn't have about it otherwise. I think it's good to honor creativity too.


No comments:

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...