Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

19 July 2008

Oh when the saints go marching in...

About 2am or so... a man hollers at us from the other side of the street... "HEY... are you a church?" We told him, "No... we're snake-handlers... of course we're a church!"

We started chatting about our new graffiti decor and he gets a big smile on his face and says, "HEY you're the church from the paper today!" (We actually heard that a number of times tonight, usually followed by sloppy drunken high fives). We began to chat with this slight man named Dave with a British accent. Almost immediately, God said to me... "he's sick". I told Brian in a quite voice, "he's sick". 5 seconds later, Dave says, "I'm dying".

Dave was from Brantford but had lived in England for 20 years where he worked and was very successful. But Dave was given a death sentence and has come home to Brantford to be with his family... and presumably die.

Dave is a Christian. Believes in the whole gambit but is, as he puts it, "is caught between two shores". He's not afraid of dying... but believes there is more of this life to live. He is discouraged because Brantford looks worse than it did before he left... but he knows there is something that needs to happen here. Dave is at a real significant point in life.

So if you drove by down Market Street at 2:45am tonight, you would have seen three guys, sitting on bar stools, holding holds, praying and prophesying health, destiny and wisdom over each other.

If you had been in Freedom House at 3:15am, you would have seen Dave still sitting on a bar stool with an acoustic guitar singing "Oh when the saints" with a rustic British vocal paintbrush.

If you were in my den with me at 4:02am... you'd have heard me say, "Holy Crap it's late".

I'll tell you what though... some things that "polite company" (who I STILL don't think I want to have over) assume are "none of my business" are the very things that people are dying to have someone care about and even intrude into. You are the "Hope dispenser" and time is not your own. Give, give give give give give


give


Proverbs 19:17 Mercy to the needy is a loan to God,
and God pays back those loans in full.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

my world is rocked so completely when I read things like this. I didn't realize this kind of Christianity existed.

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...