Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

13 July 2008

Oh you can't get to heaven...

Oh you can't get to heaven
On a rocking chair
Cause a rocking chair won't take you there
I ain't gonna grieve my Lord no more
By Sunday School Jones III


Do you ever wonder just how this verse plays itself out?

Acts 2:21 And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.

I do. In fact it crossed my mind about 2am Saturday morning talking to a man named Daryle. Daryle is a trucker who believes in "our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ", keeps a Bible in the truck at all times. He gets... and accepts the whole story.

On the minus side... Daryle also GETS a lot of hookers.

"I'm a whore monger with the best of them. I'll pretty much climb on anything that moves if you know what I mean. I was out here looking for skin and when we're done praying... that's where I'm headed again."
Daryle (stay classy) the Trucker


He quite unapologetic about it all...yet knows and accepts that Jesus forgives him of "the sins of the flesh" because "human flesh is weak".

Acts 15: 10-11 "Now then, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of the disciples a yoke that neither we nor our fathers have been able to bear? No! We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that we are saved, just as they are."


Check... Daryle's got it

Acts 16: 29-31 The jailer called for lights, rushed in and fell trembling before Paul and Silas. He then brought them out and asked, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household."


Check... Daryle's got it

Romans 10: 9That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Check... Daryle's got it

VD

Check... Daryle's got it

So... hmmm... I think Daryle's in? How does that sit with you?

2 comments:

Jad said...

I've had this discussion so many times in my men's small group but I never truly can put a finger on God's grace.

Do I think he goes to heaven? Yes, probably, but is there pain in process? Yes, undoubtedly.

Great post.

Dave Carrol said...

It far from an easy answer for sure. sometimes I think about how moses pleaded with God for to not smote the Isrealites in their extreme disobedience.

It was Moses desire that his people live... not die. i wonder why sometimes we'd rather fight against people's heavenly home than for it?

Hmmm

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...