Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

6 August 2008

Did you know that I used to be a male teenage anorexic smartass?

It's true. I was. Check out the miraculous shape changing Dave throughout my high school life...
Grade 9: 210lbs
Grade 10: 110lbs
"Tell me more about your revolutionary weight loss system Dave!!" you say; heart all atwitter.

ICE... and precious little else.

I was the fatish kid. Not the grotesque obese, sweat through my t-shirt on the walk to school kid... but the kid who had man boobs so hated being "skins" in gym class kid. It's one of the reason's that smart ass came out in me. Poking fun at yourself is easier than hearing others poking fun at you. In the long run, it doesn't hurt any less... you can just control it.

Unfortunately... you begin to not like yourself very much. It took me years to admit that what I did to myself was actually anorexia. It was strange how I "snapped out of it" though. One day I was at friend's house watching Seinfeld on a Thursday night and his Mom looked at me and said, "Dave... EAT, THIS, CAKE" I did... and then didn't stop eating. Ha!

Over the next decade I ate poorly again until God stopped me in my tracks a few years ago and took me on a year-long fasting journey that flushed me out, slimmed me down and corrected a whole lot in my head about my relationship with food. I'm still not great with food and I expect it will always be battle for me... but it's MUCH better. My quick, natural, and sometimes overtaking reaction is to overeat. Eat poorly. Eat late. It's a quick, feel-good bit of comfort. In fact, the only times in life I've been able to eat well has been when I've had a God laid-out direct mandate to do so.

Months before I began my mother-of-all-fast year, I heard God say, "Your going to the next level spiritually will have a direct tie-in to your physical health". And it did. And it still does. I feel better about myself AND my walk with God when I eat right and my body is healthy. When I carry extra weight... I can feel it and it effects how I interact with the world and with my God.

When the Lakeland Healing Revival whatever it is began I started watching person after person after person waddle up on stage seeking healing for their stretched, unkept bodies. I can't help but wonder what God thinks about what we've all done to our temples.

"If anything is sacred, the human body is sacred"
Walt Whitman

1 Corinthians 6:19-20
Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.


These days are VASTLY different from high school. When I put on some weight, it doesn't send me into a self loathing tailspin. I've caught me a girlie... I have friends who love me for me... the creator of the universe calls me friend... I'm all good. But the more I think about and pray about healing... the more I'm SURE that there IS correlation between how we treat our temple and God's willingness to manifest his glory in it.


No comments:

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...