Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

29 September 2008

The Friday Night Fights

Friday night we had a Men's Night at the Big Blue House where most of the guys watched Ultimate Fighting Something. My really good friend Steve / "Brimstone" (as he was known back in his wrestling days... which were awesome days BTW) is starting an excellent men's program at Freedom House and thankfully allowed me (and a few other political nerds) to bail on the fist punching to watch the tongue punching that McCain and Obama gave each other Friday night.

I find the political positioning dance really interesting. It's somewhat stomach churning sure... but there is so much strategy involved that I'm always engaged. This was my buddy Jamie's facebook status after the debate...

I laughed when I saw it because it was pretty darn true. For the life of me I can't understand a policy of not talking to people you disagree with. Seems pretty... well... stupid to me. But on the other side of the coin I listened to Obama called Iran "terrorists", heard his plans to FINALLY help Canada (although he only mentioned European countries) in Afghanistan, and was really thrilled to hear that he wants to attack Pakistan soon. Oh goodie. Let's just say that neither man is touting a passive resistance defence plan. This is what I wrote in response to Jamie's FB status...


We debuted a new feature at Freedom House on Sunday called "Hot Topics" where I chat with a couple of people in the church about things making the news these days. You can check out this week's podcast at the Freedom House Blog if you want hear it... but we chatted about how deeply Christians should be involved in politics. One University Political Science Grad talked about Christians creating a counter culture outside of a flawed system that was somewhat along the lines of Shane Claiborne's Jesus of President. Brian found that to be a fairly Utopian position and argued that we need to influence our current system of governance.

The reality is that both are right. It's a messed up system and it nearly hurts to hear our painfully imperfect man-plans to solve deep issues of human suffering. Humans will always feel that something is missing without God in our mix. We'll never feel "right" without being connected to our creator. Still one of my favorite verses in the Bible is Colossians 1:27

"To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory."


I vote. And I care about political systems because I believe in people. I believe that people can be moved with compassion for their fellow man. I believe that God put in ME the hope of glory that I'm then asked to share with others by showing kindness! Being GOOD. I support political systems that facilitate the empowerment of the individual and I'll speak out about it too. Soon on my blog I'm going to share some videos I made in support of my local candidate whom I support. Not because he's perfect... but because I think his political philosophy best facilitates a healthy country and a healthy, equipped individual.

But I won't ever be fooled into believing that a system or party IS the hope of glory.
I know where hope resides.
In me.
In you.
From Him.

No comments:

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...