Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

15 September 2008

Strategic Risk


I'll say it again: Time is a currency.

A few nights ago, I actually lay awake thinking about what my Google Calender looks like and trying to find more time in the week. As I dozed off, in a brief minute of delusion, I thought I had discovered a way to create more time in a day. Lamentably... I was wrong.

"Early to bed early to rise makes a man healthy wealthy and wise'
Ben Franklin


According to my extensive research into the human condition... I've come to the determination that 72% of human feelings are completely unwarranted, lead to a whole lot of wasted time, and we could do without them entirely.

***NOTE These stats are entirely an exaggerated fabrication of Dave's mind on rant... use with care***

We waste A LOT of time feeling offended or hurt or slighted or sad or tired or weak for no reason whatsoever. Time is limited. You only have so much of it. It's currency. Do you want to spend it on THAT??

I have no interest in being a quiet person. I want to be involved in everything and succeed at all of it. I plan to influence my home, my church, the political spectrum, the culture, my city, my country and beyond. And I quite literally don't have the time to fritter on things that don't accomplish this. I don't think I'll rent any more movies. Ha! On Saturday night we AGAIN rented a movie only to run out of time to watch it... and then run out of time to return on time.

But to be a person of influence... it involves "Risk". We're beginning a series at Freedom House about"Risk" that I'm really looking forward to. It can be such a tricky thing to take a risk in life... because the outcome is not pre-determined and it's relatively easy to get burned acting on risky ventures.

Check out this AMAZING poem by Mother Theresa:

People are unreasonable, illogical, self-centered... love them anyway.
If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives ... do good anyway.
If you are successful, you win false friends and true enemies... be successful anyway.
The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow... do good anyway.
Honesty and frankness will make you vulnerable... be honest and frank anyway.
People love underdogs but follow only top dogs... follow some underdog anyway.
What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight... build anyway.
People really need help but may attack you if you try to help... help people anyway.
If you give the world the best you have, you may get kicked in the teeth... but give the world the best you have anyway.
Mother Theresa


My question is, who would kick a nun in the teeth? That's some kinda stones right there.

But I don't want to take kicks in the teeth for foolishly risked, misspent time. If I'm gonna get hoofed in the teeth (and I have and will again) it better be for something important and by my choosing. My pastor believes that...

"This century belongs to dreamers, strategists and risk takers"
Brian Beattie


... and I agree with him. The 3 are not divergent thoughts. They are complimentary. There is strategy involved in risk-taking. Maybe I'll get Costanza to share with me his views on "Risk Management" sometime, but from where I stand, "Risk" is currency as well. When you're taking a risk with the investment of your time, you should be a "sower"; not a "scatterer". Know what you're doing beforehand... be prepared to get kicked in the teeth like a nun...

... and risk anyway.

No comments:

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...