Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

7 October 2008

The greed and fear cycle



I've said this a number of times lately... but I am not an economist by any stretch of the imagination. But you'd have to be a cave dweller of some description to not be inundated with reports of fallouts, buyouts and bailouts these days. My last 4 years of being a drivetime, talk radio listener, commuter has meant a steady stream financial updates and economic analysis.

Much of it is still sounds like 70's jive talk to me... but one major concept is a resonating thud in my spirit today. Yesterday I heard the announcer say...

"the stock market is based on greed and fear"


I felt like I had just taken a Clubber Lang body blow. Greed and fear. The system by which our economy and livelihoods depend on is driven by greed and fear. Those are 2 HORRIBLE motivating factors. Try and find worse ones. I actually couldn't sleep last night because I kept hearing those 2 words ringing in my head. Greed and Fear. We put our hope in system based on greed and fear?

So I did some googling and discovered that this a quite accepted and embraced concept. It dictates when the buyers and seller buy and sell... crumbling family businesses while making others inordinately wealthy. It's call the greed and fear cycle.



There is it in all it's splendor.

Baby Boomers are pacing around my office this morning panicking about whether or not they'll be able to retire because money movers, moved their money using greed and fear as a motivator. And the Boomers will likely react according to greed and fear as a result. But those with the money have likely already predicted that the boomers will react with greed and fear and out of a motivation of greed and fear are ready to capitalize on their anticipated actions.

It is actually making me feel sicker about our society than I have in a long while.

But wait... hark... coming from the east... Not that I'm often a big Pope quoter but on Monday Pope Benedict XVI took stock of the global credit crisis saying the world’s financial systems are

“built on sand” and that only the works of God have “solid reality.” Referring to Matthew 7, the Pope said, ‘’He who builds only on visible and tangible things like success, career and money builds the house of his life on sand.” He added, ‘’We are now seeing, in the collapse of major banks, that money vanishes, it is nothing. All these things that appear to be real are in fact secondary. Only God’s words are a solid reality.”

Even though he never did return my email welcoming him to the Popedom... I agree with his creepiness. A system that is built on greed and fear will not work. Analysts call it a "Market Correction". When God does "Market Corrections" it doesn't usually go that well for those "MARKETS" who abuse their people out of greed and fear. (See Sodom. See the OT Prophets).

I've been doing a series of political videos. I've been doing it for one party. One candidate. The one I'd like to see win. And as a result of it, I've taken quite a number of barbs from friends and well-wishers. It's the nature of the beast and I somewhat enjoy the sparring. As a good friend of mine wrote me, "Sticking your neck out means it can be cut through with a butter knife" True Dat. And I'm totally cool with taking hits. In fact as a Christian... it's my role to "come and die". But I want it to be THE answer I'm taking hits for.

The thing is... that when it comes to our entire system (including the political system) I simply don't put my faith or hope in it. Not my party and not yours. It's folly to believe otherwise. "Good" may or may not be achieved by ANY political party within our economic system. It depends on the greed and fear cycle doesn't it? No PARTY is the answer. Because it's all laced with one overriding, fundamental concept that churns my stomach.

Greed and fear

It swings voters. Greed. Fear. I WANT a tax cut. I'm AFRAID of the earth melting. Al Gore says so. It's greed and fear my friends. It's important to weigh what's best and participate but Greed and Fear should NEVER be a motivator for ANYTHING you do. Freedom reigns kids.

I tried to save the world, but it fell upon my shoulders. I couldn't stop the sun, Now it's only getting colder. Falling down, Be there for me when I start to drown.
Your love, it is the compass of my heart.
Your love, it is the thing that let me start.

Martin Smith (Delirious)


I was up late last night after a terrific night of prayer and worship at Freedom House. Tuesday night's we get together and let 'er rip. You wanna see a prophetic generation in action... check out "Fusion" Tuesday night's at the big blue house. It's the real deal. We call it fusion because its a time set aside to fuse heaven and earth. It's a touch a few minutes to look at brightness so bright that it hurts the eyes. It lets your spirit reside in a kingdom where the greed and fear cycle has never been permitted and my ticket to ride was stamped 2000 years ago in blood.

This Paul Coleman song raced right through my brain... into my veins... and flooded my heart with the freedom of truth, light and hope last night.






Here I am in a river of questions
Can I pour my heart out to a listening ear?
I see this life Its valley's and mountains
And I think of all the roads that brought me here

I've questioned my reasons, the life I'm living
I've questioned my ability to judge wrong from right
I've questioned all the things that I've ever called certain
My race, my religion, my country, my mind

But the one thing I don't question is you
You really love me like you say you do
Hold me

I've questioned significance, meaning and relevance
Does the work I'm doing really matter at all?
Well I've questioned my friendships, alliance, dependence
Who will still be here when I fall?

Only one thing doesn't change
Only one thing stays the same
All I know at the end of the day is your love remains
Paul Coleman
I'll debate politics. I enjoy it. But know that to me the answer to problems will never be found outside of man who died shamed and naked for you... so you could break out of the greed and fear cycle.

This is my story.
This is my song.

7 comments:

candidchatter said...

Awesome post!!

Heidi

Dave Carrol said...

thanks Heidi.

Just kinda felt like shoutin Jesus a bit. There is a whole lotta mud that we can have to live in sometimes. Touching heaven and knowing that God's presence is always available in just invigorating.

Go God

chrisfriel.ca said...

oh sure, i get to take shots at you in the political field, but then you go and bring Jesus into it...like i can poke you with a sharp stick when you're hiding behind the robes of Jesus...(insert inappropriate and unnecessary expletive here)...oh well...rant on...you know Jesus was the original ranter right?

chrisfriel.ca said...

gaia

Dave Carrol said...

haha...yes the good lord could do some rant damage. Look out if you're a money changer in a table man...

look out for Jesus man.

Emmanuel K. Dogbevi said...

Great post, Dave.

After reading this post and listening to the music you attached to it, I could only come to the conclusion that, greed and fear are probably the two most deadly things that could destroy our world and drive many more into deeper misery.

But thank God for Jesus Christ.

Dave Carrol said...

Honestly man... you're bang on.

Having men (who are the hope of Glory when Christ is in them) being full of Holy Spirit... setting out to do good in our lands IS the answer.

When I read your piece Emmanuel about e-waste and the incredible greed, irresponsibility, and abuse of a nation really that it entailed... it broke my heart for Ghana. That the West continues to marginalize and abuse Africa with refuse.

Thank God for Jesus and the gift of freedom... and the voice to speak truth and light that comes out of it.

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...