Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

16 October 2008

Livin' the good life

I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance, to the full, till it overflows.
John 10:10 (Amplified Bible)


Pete Wilson from Cross Point Church in Nashville wrote a great blog this morning about why he thinks our financial crisis is a good thing. The long and the short of it is that this is a fabulous opportunity for Christians to "model" and "help"

This is our chance to model that our faith is not based on the economy. I believe it will provide numerous opportunities for the church to step up and be the church. The last two decades have been dominated by materialism and the church has not escaped this. The driving question has been what can I get? I believe the question will start to change and it will be all about what can I give.
This is what makes our faith so lively and vibrant. It's not about comfort and wealth. It's about serving and pointing towards hope (and even though the posters would tell you otherwise... hope comes from Jesus... who is not running running for president).

It's so strange to see what, even in a much needed season of church overhauling that has happened in the last 20 years, we've almost accidentally slipped into. My buddy shared this very funny and eerily accurate video called "What if worship was like an NBA game?"



OK the Darlene Zeke thing was funny. But you've felt this before haven't you? We've become quite comfortable in it too... even though we know that it's a bit like fast food for our souls. It still gets us what we need to get through the day, but we're getting fat, lazy, and ineffective because of our diet.

Last night I took a group of 25 or so to RAK Attack our local neighborhood Price Chopper. We handed out quarters for grocery carts, held umbrellas for people going to their cars, bagged groceries, cleaned the lunch room, broke down boxes, faced shelves... it was AMAZING. The manager didn't know we were coming and as it turned out, they were short staffed and were going to have to work late cleaning but our "RAK attack" kindness bomb saved them a headache last night.

And you know who won? EVERYONE won last night. It actually felt revolutionary. It felt like a "why in the world aren't we doing this more often?" We showed and shared Jesus to MANY people in MANY ways doing very simple things in a very short amount of time. By washing stuff and bagging groceries!

Light flickers from every secret motive, from every conversation.
It loves people away from their suicide leaps—their Satan games.
This is an army that would lay down its life for the cause.
A million times a day, its soldiers choose to lose that they might one day win the great “well done” of faithful sons and daughters.
Pete Greig from "The Vision"


The same is true with our expressions of worship. I'm very lucky that we've created a worship driven community. Where the THINGS we do are birthed out of a legitimate free exchange of love between me and my God. A community where we're free to express that love to God in the way that it naturally comes out of the individual. See... I'm loud sometimes. I was asked last weekend how I best communicate with God, and as I looked at it... this is how it works often for me.
  1. Spend a good chunk of time trying to shut my brain off
  2. Followed by loud, demonstrative, declaration spouting, cathartic yelling, Bruce Springsteen left-handed air band rockin
  3. Then my spirit is free to listen and my brain begins to process what God's saying
It's different for everyone. Check out this video here from a group of 24/7 Prayer guys from Oklahoma called "Triibe". They pray with their drums.

"Prayer to me is far more than just a monologue with God. Its breathing... It's being. If you think prayer is relegated to talking... then you're probably not going to get triibe"


Love it... because it's just legit. It's the good life... because it's man freely connecting with the Jesus who said, "I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance, to the full, till it overflows." It's got NOTHING to do with economics. It's got EVERYTHING to do with Freedom.

What will you do with your freedom?

I'll say it again... get free, live free, free others.

4 comments:

Bill (cycleguy) said...

Dave,

Good post. I linked to yours via Pete's without wax. I pastor a church in Spencer, IN (near bloomington). I commented on Pete's and you may also want to check out this post by Heidi Reed at http://candidchatter.wordpress.com/2008/10/16/suffer-the-little-children/

I also posted a comment on hers.

Bill (cycleguy) said...

Dave: not sure if Heidi's whole address will come out. If not, go to my blog and click on Candid Chatter under Suffer the Little Children.

Anonymous said...

Your making me home sick Dave consider me number 26 when I get back. God told me to clean up the side walk of a block in philadelphia, and now I try to do some everywhere I stop. Good life.

Keith

Dave Carrol said...

It is the good life keith. It's the living out of "it's better to give than to receive". It's so much more than something to make us feel OK about Christmas gifts...

... happiness, freedom, abundant life is found in living out Jesus!

You're the man Keith. Super proud of you and your faith walking and there is a place in our home/life/ministry for you ANY DAY!

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...