Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

9 November 2008

Mining for wedding nuggets

I have a friend who has just finished up a career in wedding photography. She's fantastic at it and is in high demand... but I think she got to the point where she just couldn't take pretending to be enraptured about the wedding formula week after week after week. I think that she wants to be able to actually ENJOY her own wedding one day!

It's not that weddings aren't wonderful and meaningful... or that people aren't genuine about them... it's just that if you are an observant person in the least, you can see the next line in the script coming as clearly as an episode of Reba. It's a formula baby. Tried and true.

So what I try to do at wedding is search for those little nuggets of exposed truth. I always hope there is something really real that is said by a father... a moment of honest emotion... an prevailing atmosphere that tells the story of two friends.

Last night my wife's cousin got married. He is the middle child in farm family of 11! It took him until the age of 32 to find the right woman but he did it. They are both the kind of people that you have no choice but to love and root for. Two positive, encouraging, kind, friendly people who found each other. You can't NOT dig that.

In her speech, my in my wife's Aunt Bev paid them what I think is one of the higher compliments I've ever heard in a wedding speech. She said,

"When they are around, you just feel good about yourself"


What a FANTASTIC thing to have said about you. It's one of the highest compliments that can be paid to someone in my opinion. It means that not only are THEY genuine people... but they are also unselfish enough to make OTHERS feel good about themselves. I want THAT said about me.

In Hebrews 10 it says:

Let's see how inventive we can be in encouraging love and helping out, not avoiding worshiping together as some do but spurring each other on, especially as we see the big Day approaching.


It implies that being encouraging to each other isn't something that JUST happens by osmosis. We're actually challenged to get INVENTIVE with our encouraging.

There are so many people in our world who feel like they don't have friends. But to make a friend, you need to be a friend. We should start to get inventive how we can encourage others... in spurring each other on to love and good deeds. When you are a person of whom it can be said, "I just feel good about myself when they're around"... you're never going to be lonely.

No comments:

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...