Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

27 November 2008

Running into Danger


Today as I signed a co worker's "Hurray you're 24" Birthday card, to be followed shortly after by his office-legislated "Hurray you're 24" birthday cake... I thought to myself, "Hmmm. I'm 32. Really now. I'm getting older". Now, I hate saying that out loud, because half of you are rolling your eyes and using the term "whippersnapper" somewhere in an under-your-breath-mumble... but 32 is 32. It means I'm neither dinosaur nor pup. But I'm only allowed to move forward down the fossil road.

In discussions around the Carrol homestead last night I used the word "RISK" in relationship to where God's leading (or not leading) me these days. I think Risk is to the brain as Faith is to the spirit.

One of the definitions of risk is, "a venture undertaken without regard to possible loss or injury". It comes from the French word "risque", meaning "run into danger". It's a very intriguing word and an even more intriguing way to live life. Running into danger.

Thanks to George Costanza and Kenny (that's gold Jerry) Banya, the term "Risk Management" is forever ingrained into my subconscious. I struggle with the validity of managing risk in our lives. I struggle with how to keep one's options open and truly walk by faith. Isn't Risk Management kind of an oxymoron? Yet... seemingly... this is how the successful, succeed. This is diagram of Risk Management.



It seems like a prudent idea. It's the business version of "How to win friends and influence people". Works. But is it real? Is it best? Trying to manage risk is a way control the outcome of a "venture undertaking" using the flashlight of eyesight and compass of logic. This seems like a very dicey scenario to me... running into danger for my own gain, with me as my own guide.

The reason why my HEAD feels like my life is risky... is because I've walked this far by faith. Through many dangers, toils and snares, I have already come using FAITH as my compass. See faith is "belief that is not based on proof". I'm standing on an thin air. If I begin to "logic out" where I stand in life its scary... VERY risky since I'm standing on the invisible. Risk and Faith are seemingly similar... but mistaking one for the other can be a subtle destiny stealer. You need to choose (brain) to take risk based on faith (spirit). You see... risk takers win when it's Godly risk with HIS parameters.

When the Bible talks about risk, it's in the context of people who were led by faith... then actively chose to (verb) risk (run into danger)... knowing that the outcome was in the hands of He who led them there. And the result is someone who succeeds and is esteemed. Like when Paul wrote this about Epaphroditus to the church in Philippians 2:

29Welcome him in the Lord with great joy, and honor men like him, 30because he almost died for the work of Christ, risking his life to make up for the help you could not give me.


"Running into Danger on a belief that is not based on proof. "


I wouldn't want to live any other way. And when I'm not doing it... I get very edgy.

No comments:

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...