Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

28 December 2008

Sitting in a coffee shop writing

Sitting in a coffee shop writing is one of my favorite things to do these days. I like turning the music up loud and locking myself into the world I'm creating while watching the real world going on around me from time to time. Plus I like coffee. So it's a win win.


What keeps me up tonight is... is what I'm writing, worth writing (and maybe the coffee).

Is what I'm writing funny enough?
Is it insightful enough?
Does it point to God enough?
Will ANYONE even be interested enough in my stories and thoughts to want to read this thing?

I have become someone who loves to write. I don't think I'm a terribly skilled technical writer... but I love crafting words together to communicate a thought and I've improved my capacity to make it happen on a blank page over the years. I think I love writing, because communicating is really my passion. And writing is a communication discipline that I've intentionally worked at developing.

Speaking comes very easy to me. During our Post-Christmas "too much crap in the house" purge, I came across my Broadcasting College awards for best on-air personality. I won it all three years at school without really trying too hard. It's a God gift and I use it as such, but it just comes naturally. Writing wasn't like that. It was hard for me. It takes more patience than I have. It's made me slow down and expound upon thoughts that I'd normally try to find the quickest, most direct way to say.

I only write ANYTHING at all, because God told me to. Many years ago now, a friend gave us (a recently returned to Canada Missionary Couple) a very old hack-job computer. I had never owned a computer and knew very little about them. I made it through college on an electric typewriter (believe it or not). One day, I heard God tell me to start writing. Just anything. It didn't matter what it was. I just knew that I had to learn to make writing a disciplined part of my life... for HIS purposes... not mine. I did. And here I am today. Which is really nowhere...

...sitting in a coffee shop, plunking away, wondering what will come out of obedience and obscurity.

Isaiah 26:8
Yes, LORD, walking in the way of your laws,
we wait for you;
your name and renown
are the desire of our hearts.

3 comments:

candidchatter said...

I love to write. Always have.

Two words came to me the other day.

"Obey Me"

My situation is different. It's not about writing. But just wanted you to keep up what you are doing -- being obedient. He likes that.

Heidi

Patti said...

Important question - what kind of coffee?

:)

Keep writing!

Anonymous said...

Yea. keep writing. Btw, im 18.

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...