Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

17 December 2008

Sometimes life just makes you wanna #@!$$%^

Last night over the span of a couple of hours... my wife and I heard 3 terrible stories. One of crisis. One of tragedy. One of manipulation. All of which just left us with that "sick in the pit of your stomach" feeling. That horrible feeling of "this is just so wrong". I (personally) usually have a couple of reactions to these type situations.

First... I get mad where one person's stupidity drags somebody I love down with them. I can't stand for that.

Second... to those who are hurting I feel like I want to give them spiritual mouth to mouth. My first reaction is to make a connection with them and remind them to keep breathing. That no matter what today feels like, there IS a tomorrow and hope comes in the morning. I feel like I want to be first on the scene to say, "Don't you let this jade your spirit. God's here. Let's get through this and find out where we're headed", as I begin to speak to the darkness and prophesy light.

That's what naturally happens to me. I sometimes have a difficult time actually mourning with those who mourn. Often I'll ask God to allow me to have tears if I need them. Because as a minister, it's not about me and my feelings when someone else is going through a terrible situation. It's about being what others need... and doing what needs to be done to release Jesus in a room and in lives. I desperately want to weep if my friends need tears. My wife said to me today, "You know, in all three of these situations, I wish it was me... not them".

I'm thankful that the phrase "the way you should go" appears in the Bible... although when we're winded after a life-punch in the gut... finding that way seems darn-near impossible. The context that it appears in Psalm 143 is amazing though, because it comes out as David is taking refuge from the storm.

7 Answer me quickly, O LORD;
my spirit fails.
Do not hide your face from me
or I will be like those who go down to the pit.

8 Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love,
for I have put my trust in you.
Show me the way I should go,
for to you I lift up my soul.

9 Rescue me from my enemies, O LORD,
for I hide myself in you.


There is a way we should go.
The morning brings unfailing love.
Keep breathing.

1 comment:

Patti said...

Reaction #1 - oh yeah. My poor husband gets to hear the ranting.

Reaction #2 - I've said "keep breathing" so many times, that somebody actually cross-stitched me a "breathe" sign for my office.

!! :)

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...