Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

24 March 2009

La Vita Bella

I think that the understanding "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", undercuts the depth of beauty. By dictionary definition, beauty happens when man receives "deep satisfaction to the mind". It's seems a wrong however, to restrict beauty by the limitations of our hazy, lazy eyes.

I read an engrossing story from the Washington Post today called "Pearls Before Breakfast". For 43 minutes, internationally acclaimed violin virtuoso Joshua Bell played some of the longest standing masterpieces ever composed on a violin made in 1730, worth $3.5 million... in a DC subway station at rush hour.



What happened, was sadly predictable. Most people hustled along their path from here to get there. A few actually noticed Bell. A couple stopped for a moment and only one knew him by named and couldn't believer her fortune to encounter something this grand in the most obscure of scenarios.

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

-- from "Leisure," by W.H. Davies


This is where I think "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" falls down. Beauty is too rich to be confined by our perception of it. What was happening in this subway station WAS beautiful whether it was sensed or not. A few saw it, and as a result, got to frolic in the beauty pool. If you choose to think past the visceral level, beauty abounds. Sometimes we can only see it when we stand and stare.

The plastic bag scene in American Beauty is a powerful demonstration of abounding beauty waiting to be beheld.



It was one of those days when it's a minute away from snowing and there's this electricity in the air, you can almost hear it. And this bag was, like, dancing with me. Like a little kid begging me to play with it. For fifteen minutes. And that's the day I knew there was this entire life behind things, and... this incredibly benevolent force, that wanted me to know there was no reason to be afraid, ever. Video's a poor excuse, I know. But it helps me remember... and I need to remember... Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in.
Ricky Fitts


In Slip Slidin' Away... Paul Simon wrote, "My love for you is so overpowering I'm afraid that I'll disappear". It's long been a bit of a benchmark for me. I hold it as a picture of where I'd like to be in relationship with my wife, my world and my God. To be so enraptured by creation that I'm engulfed by the vast majesty of the Kingdom.

It's the longing of creation. It's being drawn, as if magnetically, towards beauty and the hope of GOOD.

La Vita Bella...
Life is Beautiful

No comments:

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...