Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

9 March 2009

"The right to appear ridiculous is something I hold dear"

"Bono knows exactly what a lot of you think of his social activism and flamboyant freelance diplomacy. But the flip side of that bravado, in "I'll Go Crazy..." — "The right to appear ridiculous is something I hold dear" — is a running doubt in Bono's lyrics, that he always goes too far ("Stand Up Comedy") and will never be as good as his ideals. The rising-falling effect of the harmony voices around Bono in the long space-walk "Moment of Surrender" is a perfect picture of where he really wants to be, when he gets to the line about "vision over visibility."
Rolling Stone's 5 Star Review of "No Line On The Horizon"


My friend Chris Jones blogged the other day about idealism and how we reconcile it with pragmatism. There is nothing wrong with considering the ramifications of your actions. None whatsoever. In fact, it helps figure out which tall building you're going to scream idealism from the top of.

Is it true that perfect love drives out all fear
The right to appear ridiculous is something I hold dear
Oh, but a change of heart comes slow
It’s not a hill, it’s a mountain
As you start out the climb
Listen for me, I’ll be shouting
We’re gonna make it all the way to the light
But you now I’ll go crazy if I don’t go crazy tonight
From "I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight"


Earlier in that song, there is a line that says, "every beauty need to go out with an idiot". I LOVE this word picture. As smart as we could ever be... we're still idiots playing little idiotic games. As Christians we are as full of crap as the rest... and sometimes more than most... because we dare to scream "GLORY" from cities on hills.

Then why yell? Because we're supposed to. The rocks will do it if we don't. We MUST shout truth before we see it happen. It's how the Kingdom of God works. You seek him first and THEN you find Him. You (complete fueled by faith since you can't SEE Jesus anymore) go to Jerusalem and spend 40 crazy days with your ridiculous friends in an upper room and wait for the fire to play with you.

I tied myself with wire
To let the horses roam free
Playing with the fire
Until the fire played with me
From "Moment of Surrender"


That's when you start speaking idealist surrender, repentance... love. That's when you'll feel compelled to head into to the streets. That's when you'll go crazy if you don't go crazy.

When the people in town hear you speaking Revolution in their own language, they'll come running. They'll be thunderstruck. They won't be able to figure out what's going on! They'll say, aren't these those Crazy Idealist Dreamers? Their heads will spin. They might even think you're drunk on cheap wine!

That's when you'll say with bold urgency, "Hey, we're not drunk... get your story straight. We haven't had time to get drunk yet! It's only nine o'clock in the morning. Get out while you can; get out of this sick and stupid culture!"

Acts 2


Might sound idealistic, but I'm holding out for idealism. Good is the enemy of best. When the planless, passionate and very unpragmatic Peter did it... 3000 people "signed up" for change. Acts 2:47 says, "People in general liked what they saw. Every day their number grew as God added those who were saved"

I may end up looking like a spaz. But what else is new. The right to appear ridiculous is something I hold dear.




No comments:

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...