Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

31 March 2009

The Shlog, The Ragamuffin, and Me


Singer Shawn Groves on his "Schlog" the other day... told an amazing story of "Phil Vischer's Jesus". Phil was one of the Veggie Tales guys who's really successful (both financially and in ministry) company Big Idea went under. And it went under... because God led him there.

"The more I dove into Scripture, the more I realized I had been deluded. I had grown up drinking a dangerous cocktail - a mix of the gospel, the Protestant work ethic, and the American dream… The Savior I was following seemed, in hindsight, equal parts Jesus, Ben Franklin, and Henry Ford. My Eternal value was rooted in what I could accomplish.”

He eventually concluded that the Christian life...

“wasn’t about impact; it was about obedience.”

Very cool lessons learned by an impactful man in the Kingdom of God. God's economy is different than ours. Also read a great blog today on Ragamuffinsoul.com by Carlos Whittaker from Buckhead Church in Atlanta. It's called, "You're growing? Well She's Dying"

This is taken from Skye Jethani’sThe Divine Commodity” which is required reading for any Ragamuffin.

“In 1990 approximately 20% the population (of America) attended church on any given weekend. By 2004 the figure had dropped to 17%. If the trend continues, by 2050 only 11% of Americans will attend church. Although megachurches have multiplied across the fruited plains, the numbers show that Christianity in America has been consolidating and not exploding”.

Now hear me.
I work for a “megachurch”.
I love my “megachurch”.
But in 2050, when I’m old and wrinkly, I want my grand kids to see the hope of glory and the beauty of His bride.
The Church.
Perry Noble said something at Unleash in reference to denominations shrinking. Something akin to if it were their money that was shrinking, there would be a strategy in place to fix it yesterday.
That is some truth spittin’ double slap right there.
So.
The “Church” is shrinking.
Some of our “churches” are not.
So instead of feeling comfortable about our local church growth, I think we need to step back and take a look from the roof of your local town hall.
Holy crap. The church in America is dying.

I was talking with my friend Daria last night in our prayer room about The Kingdom of God and how vital it is to not JUST be happy playing our own role in it... but how we need to be intentional in how we work to release others in THEIR destiny. Lateral church growth is nearly going backwards. Because it means someone else bailing on an old community and picking up just a little more baggage in the process. We need revival. Real growth.

Revival won't come from cultural relevance. Can we now all admit this was a scam? Revival comes from obedient vessels who don't care about their own fame or success crying out to God... and doing what He says regardless.

Isaiah 26:8

Yes, LORD, walking in the way of your laws,
we wait for you;

your name and renown are the desire of our hearts.



No comments:

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...