Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

9 April 2009

Learning to be Content

In my house there's this light switch that doesn't do anything. Every so often I would flick it on and off just to check. Yesterday I got a call from a woman in Germany. She said, "Cut it out" -- Steven Wright

We're fidgety, uneasy, restless people a lot of the time. More often than not, "Content" is a fleeting, momentary feeling that we'll swear was dream after the third blink. It's an illusive beast to say the least, meaning:

"Satisfied with what one is or has. Rest or quietness of the mind in one's present condition"


It's clearly a Biblical attribute that God desires for us. While warning us not be corrupted by the trappings of the world in 1 Timothy 6:6, we're exhorted that "
Godliness with contentment is great gain". Then in Philippians 4:12 Paul, who was likely in prison at the time, wrote "I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation".

I find it interesting that Paul says that he's
LEARNED to be content. I come back to what I wrote about youth the other day, because I've been feeling God prodding me in the area of my lack of contentedness in life saying, "it's time to learn how to be content AND be someone who presses for change". I'll be honest, right now I don't know how to get there.

"(To youth) The end of every episode is the end of the world. But the power of hoping through everything, the knowledge that the soul survives its adventures, that great inspiration comes to the middle-aged"
GK Chesterton


I think there is great wisdom and trickle down value in the phrase "The Soul Survives". I'm a pusher-man.
I want to make sure that I'm a history maker. I want my life to make a difference. My life's verse is Isaiah 26:8 "Your Name and Renown are the desire of our hearts". Well... that's the end of the verse. It's the part I like. The first part says. "Yes Lord, walking in the way of your laws, we wait for you"

Waiting eh?

Where things get muddy for me is in being able to go to sleep at night knowing that the fate of the world around me... is bigger than me. That playing MY role is enough for me. That I (personally) am not responsible for making change. I'm not the change-maker. That waiting and being content is OK. Even in thinking this... I want to start stammering "but but but..." in my head.

I think I'm learning that discontentment can come from
over-estimation of our own importance. We want change so badly that we're afraid to just let go and stop fiddling with Steven Wright's mystery light switch, in a desperate attempt to make something happen... afraid to trust enough to worship... pray... laugh... love. We're afraid we're "wasting valuable time" when, ironically, that very act can rob us of the very things that need to be our change-making motive.

Contentment trickles down into love, blessing other people's ministry instead of coveting it, kindness, peace, gentleness, worship... so many good things we're freed up to be when we'll just trust enough to be content.








No comments:

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...