Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

26 June 2009

"Both and" not "Either or"


It's funny that we have such a hard time wrapping our minds around the idea of The Big C Church as a body. One body. One moment we think that how we live out our faith is CLEARLY better and more right than everyone else... and the next our insecurities rise up and we think that what we're gifted at and called to do is peanuts and insignificant.

My goodness are we a bundle of nerves sometimes.

From my perspective... the malfunction happens because of a lack of strategic cohesiveness brought on by a lack of unity... brought on by pride. We SHOULD have large scale evangelistic efforts that are overseen by visionary leaders with the best interests of "The Church" at heart. When done right... it actually facilitates the passions of others for "personal evangelism" and grass roots work. The two are not polarized... they are complimentary. But we're tempted into squabbles so easily. Paul addressed this in 1 Corinthians 1:

10I have a serious concern to bring up with you, my friends, using the authority of Jesus, our Master. I'll put it as urgently as I can: You must get along with each other. You must learn to be considerate of one another, cultivating a life in common.

12-13 I'll tell you exactly what I was told: You're all picking sides, going around saying, "I'm on Paul's side," or "I'm for Apollos," or "Peter is my man," or "I'm in the Messiah group."I ask you, "Has the Messiah been chopped up in little pieces so we can each have a relic all our own? Was Paul crucified for you? Was a single one of you baptized in Paul's name?"

17God didn't send me out to collect a following for myself, but to preach the Message of what he has done, collecting a following for him. And he didn't send me to do it with a lot of fancy rhetoric of my own, lest the powerful action at the center—Christ on the Cross—be trivialized into mere words.


Paul, as a person, was a pretty defined dude. Apostle... Leader... a "I am who I am take it or leave it" no-holds barred kinda guy. When you teach about "giftings", it's great using Paul as an example of how a good leader surrounds himself with people of complimentary gifting (Pastoral, compassion etc) to flesh out his message since we're personally coming from only one slant and hold only part of the big picture.

So when Paul gets annoyed at people for following
HIM or Apollos ... it's not just because he doesn't want the limelight (or out of jealousy of limelight being given to a contemporary)... it's the fact that in picking sides and preferences... the people are ruining Paul's carefully laid out plans of seeing a healthy CHURCH being gifted and released in NUMEROUS areas (1 Corinthians 12) and working together as a body... ONE body.

Cities can be changed by that kind of church.

Strategists can't strategize without pieces to place in place. Pieces that KNOW what their sacred role is and are confident it in. So confident that they are just as ready to prop up a brother for success... as do it themselves. Leaders can lead with that kind of army. Foot-soldiers and grass-rootsies will toil in obscurity and begin to feel jaded and alone (
and trust me... we all feel like that too often) without a big-picture plan. Without vision we die.

If the malfunction happens because of a lack of strategic cohesiveness brought on by a lack of unity, brought on by pride.... then choosing (and supporting) a Big C Church that says "Both And" instead of "Either or" is necessary. Blessing and serving instead of cursing and wrangling for position not only brings life to others... but to you as well. We're all on the same team
.


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...