Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

21 July 2009

How can anyone not like you?

Jerry Seinfeld and his parents from "The Wallet" episode:

HELEN: Doesn't like you? How can anyone not like you?

JERRY: You know, it seems impossible.

HELEN: Doesn't like you? How can that be?

JERRY: Ma, I know this may be hard for you to understand but I am sure there are many people who do not like me.

HELEN: Huh, Jerry, don't say that.

JERRY: It's true.

HELEN: No, it's not true. You're a wonderful, wonderful boy. Everybody likes you. It's impossible not to like you. Impossible. Morty?

MORTY: Maybe some people don't like him. I could see that.

There are times that I wish that being someone who talks publicly about Jesus... didn't sometimes lead to others not liking me. It's funny that almost every time I post something blatantly about Jesus on Facebook, I loose a couple of friends. It's kinda funny... but kinda not too. Because those are real people who I like.

Everyone says (but rarely actually means) "I don't care what other people think about me". Nobody really wants to be disliked. It's tough when family or friends actually doesn't want to be around you because of your belief system. I've never felt comfortable with the policy of reveling in the rejection that does inevitably come. It's always seemed arrogant and disingenuous to me. It's not our goal to be disliked! In Acts 2... when the early church was really hoppin', it says that the church found FAVOR with people.

But Christians are who we are. We know what we know. We're dealing with the spiritual world so being disliked, mocked, rejected... does happen because of it. We should be ready for it. We shouldn't take it personally. We should keep talking about Jesus. And choose to fill our hearts with love for those who can't do it back to us.

I want to make friends with as many as I can in life! I wouldn't lose a friend over my love for peanut butter. I could stop talking about... and give up baseball any day of the week. If I lost my laughter... I'd find a way to make it. But stop talking about Jesus? There's nothing to be found that means more. He IS the reason for all that I do. I know the GOOD that comes with knowing him and I'm compelled to live it out loud for as long as I'm given the chance to, from as tall of a mountain as I can find.

2 comments:

Erica said...

Dave... sometimes you make so much sense it blows my mind.

Dave Carrol said...

Thanks friend... hey miss ya. Haven't seen ya forever.

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...