Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

9 July 2009

Speaking as a Dave Carrol, this Dave Carroll is my favorite Dave Carroll with 2 L's I know


The way the world communicates and thinks has changed. Business, Cities, Industry, Church, Media... you need to stop and hear this. Listen to this story about Dave Carroll. No... another Dave Carroll. He's been all over the news with this story today.

From his blog...

"In the spring of 2008, Sons of Maxwell were traveling to Nebraska for a one-week tour and my Taylor guitar was witnessed being thrown by United Airlines baggage handlers in Chicago. I discovered later that the $3500 guitar was severely damaged. They didn’t deny the experience occurred but for nine months the various people I communicated with put the responsibility for dealing with the damage on everyone other than themselves and finally said they would do nothing to compensate me for my loss. So I promised the last person to finally say “no” to compensation (Ms. Irlweg) that I would write and produce three songs about my experience with United Airlines and make videos for each to be viewed online by anyone in the world. United: Song 1 is the first of those songs. United: Song 2 has been written and video production is underway. United: Song 3 is coming. I promise."


And here it is... "United Breaks Guitars"




So let me get this straight. Dave... do you LIKE or not like United Airlines? I'm laughing at loud at this. So great. Right down to naming the names of the people who were unreasonable to him. Poor Ms. Irlweg... kinda... but not really.

SO many things to take from this.


  • Companies simply cannot get away with poor customer service any longer.
  • Individuals now have a legitimate voice with the potential to influence many.
  • Creativity and innovation gets heard.
  • As an artist... being involved matters.
  • Injustice CAN be fought inexpensively.
  • Public perception MEANS something.
  • Everything can be viral... passion now has a vehicle for instant exponential contagiousness.
  • People will spend on someone/something they believe to be GOOD.

A couple of years ago... I had an experience with a certain telephone/Internet company in Canada that has blue things in their ads that (while it only cost this Dave Carrol 200 dollars instead of other Dave Carroll's 3500$) caused me to fight a corporate mistake tooth and nail. I fought and fought and all I received was the ignorant corporate runaround and eventually collection agency phone calls. I even threatened a similar online PR onslaught. Actually at one point I muttered something about doing unpleasant things to their spokesbeavers. It's maddening! So Dave Carroll's song would have me shouting "You go girl"... if Dave was a girl.

We've all been treated unfairly by corporations... and we've all seen people abuse the power of complaint as well. Once I did an "experiment" on a rainy day in a shop during my college summer job days. I found 20 products with customer access phone numbers on them. 10 companies I called and shredded up and down, telling motor oil companies that their product ruined my day and made my kids cry. 10 other companies I called and gushed about them. "This Diet Pepsi has brought light into my otherwise gloomy underworld existence".

I'm sure you can guess what happened. I received TONS of free product from the complaints and barely a thank-you letter from the products I liked! And I get why... and it's just going to increase. But surely... customer retention and genuine corporate ethics in the first place should be as important as putting out fires. United Airlines COULD sue Dave. Maybe.... but what would that say? United Airlines could give Dave free flights. Yep. OR... they could say I'm sorry and commit to improving customer relationships and righting a wrong.

Churches... what's the lesson to us? To me... it's another proof that there is power in a strongly believed message being communicated effectively. "To the ends of the earth" is a doable thing... The Message has always been "viral". Your community/customer relations have NEVER been more important... Kindness such a key! Ears and eyes are open... waiting to hear something true... and also quite willing to call BS on people who put themselves "out there" and are full it!

Hmmm... what do you think about this story?



Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

PeterB said...

I am with you on your comments.

Have you seen this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTtW2eW3CiI

Paul said...

Dave Carroll Smashes YouTube Records With 'United Breaks Guitars

Dave Carrol said...

I'm so proud of the work that Dave Carroll's are doing these days.

Maybe I should host a convention

Beth Murphy said...

Ha! I saw this video on AdAge's website, and I thought, "Wait a minute, I know a Dave Carroll!" So I went to check your blog to see how you spell your name, and you had this posted. Too funny! You should be proud.

Beth Murphy
Zondervan

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...