Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

7 August 2009

The Good Wine


“It is currently said that hope goes with youth, and lends to youth the wings of a butterfly; but I fancy that hope is the last gift given to man, and the only gift not given to youth. Youth is pre-eminently the period in which a man can be lyric, fanatical, poetic; but youth is the period in which a man can be hopeless. The end of every episode is the end of the world. But the power of hoping through everything, the knowledge that the soul survives its adventures, that great inspiration comes to the middle-aged: God has kept that good wine until now.”

—G. K. Chesterton




I remember chatting with an engaged friend of mine (who has a very similar personality to me) about sex a few months before his wedding. Not the "birds and the bees" but a realistic... what should I expect and NOT expect. In that chat, he realized that one day in the future he'd be in many scenario's that were currently very foreign to his mind. He knew that he still had his own wild honeymoon roller coaster ride ahead, but hearing that everything wasn't always "lyric, fanatical, poetic" was helpful in avoiding the crash of hopelessness that popping the bubble of the Hollywood sex myth can be.

It's was the chat that I truly wish I'd had someone, who I felt comfortable with, to have with me. Words of encouragement from someone who knows that life still goes on.

George Bernard Shaw said, "youth is wasted on the young". And I get what he's saying. But it doesn't work like that. I always wanted to be 30. I figured people wouldn't really listen to me until I was 30. I wanted what I was saying in my teens and 20's to be seasoned and wise... but all too often what I heard was Christian-Pubescent voice cracks. It turned out to be an annoying but necessary season.

Turns out that we have roles to play. Youth isn't wasted on the young unless it's about YOU having it all. Because THE BODY of Christ needs youthful exuberance... AND it needs people who have come out of it (and are still passionate) to come alongside youth and mentor them. Chat with them. Bless them. It's tricky not wanting what each other has... be it cars, TV's, spouses, gifts, wisdom, or even season's of life.

To covet:
"To desire wrongfully, inordinately, or without due regard for the rights of others"


For me... I like getting older. I like the idea that I actually have seen some stuff and feel like God's shaping my concepts of Him into a more well rounded picture. But the reality is, I need people in their 40's, 50's, 60's, and 70's who have been through their 30's to talk to me about the Kingdom of God. I need them to help me go deeper into understanding. It's no good to covet youth. What a waste of time. The trick really is to embrace our season and press onward.

No comments:

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...