Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

24 August 2009

Yooooooo Joe!

On our honeymoon 11 years ago, I convinced my bride that it would be a good idea to go and see "Saving Private Ryan". As it turns out, even though it's one of the most accurate reproductions of WWII battle ever... it fails significantly as a mood-setter.

So last night as we were picking what moving picture program to go and see for our anniversary, I was faced with a similar dilemma. Sweet talk my way into seeing a Tarantino... and horrify my wife. In the words of The Who... "I won't get fooled again". The other option was to cave and watch yet another a ridiculous girlie romp through the relationship daises. No Dice.

So even though neither of us REALLY wanted to see it... we went to GI Joe. And I'm shocked to admit that I liked it! Bizarre. As one of my closest friend's wrote me on Facebook today,

"Dave, your disappointing me! You shouldn't be getting shallow in your old age. To enjoy a movie you usually need a freakin deep study of the inner turmoil of the subjective sub-conscious!!"


And he's right! I do normally need that. But GI Joe had THIS going for it.



Those kids could have been me... I used to play that game for HOURS AND HOURS. Remember when Cobra created their subliminal Rock band "Cold Slither"? Ha...



My favorite shot of the movie was the last one... where all the planes landed on the coveted air-craft carrier! It was the ultimate GI Joe toy that only one guy in my circle of friends ACTUALLY had in his GI Joe oasis rec room.

I missed the witty repartee of Shipwreck and the mustached greatness of Bazooka. He was the man.

It's not often that I find a movie where I can actually just shut my analytical brain off... what things blow up... and revel in the nonsensical movieness. But GI Joe just brought back too many memories of making airplane noises with my buddies to not enjoy it!

No comments:

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...