Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

10 September 2009

"I wish I liked anything as much as my kids like bubbles"

From the movie Knocked Up. Just two guys trying to figure life out while watching Pete's kids at a playground:


BEN
They seem to love bubbles.

PETE
That’s an incredible thing about a child. What’s so great about bubbles?

BEN
They float. You can pop them. I mean, I get it. I get it.

PETE
I wish I liked anything as much as my kids like bubbles.

BEN
That’s sad.

PETE
It’s totally sad. Their smiling faces just point out your inability to enjoy anything.


Sometimes when I watch my kids worship... cackle... eat birthday cake... blow bubbles... I wish I had the ability to enjoy anything in the moment that much too. I wish I didn't lay awake at night trying to figure out a way to conquer the world, since there clearly must be something more FUN to do somewhere.

In Matthew 18:3 Jesus said, "I
tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." He didn't say to be childish. But He did say that we had to be humble like a child. Humble enough to dance and revel in moments of freedom, admitting that you can't fix everything all the time. Adults (which we ARE called to be) have responsibility, work, the charge to lead other men. Good things that don't always feel... "light". In fact often these burdens can be so darn heavy that we look at kids and say "I wish I liked anything as much as my kids like bubbles" with a not-too-hidden sound of bitterness in our voices.

But our real charge is to lead... and unload our burdens. It's what the cross was for. So we could take on Christ's easy yoke and light burden. It's folly to wish we could laze around blowing bubbles and giggling like a child for the rest of our lives. But we can't enter the Kingdom of God with BECOMING like one enough to live lightly... otherwise the weight is enough to crush a man.

1 comment:

Chris Merritt said...

wow that was a great read. that really resonated with me. thanks!

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...