Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

21 September 2009

"Nothing comes from Nothing"


As a child, in what must have seemed like a futile attempt to motivate me, my mother used to remind me at nauseum that "Nothing comes from Nothing". I thought she was quoting Jiminy Cricket. And really... who trusts a cricket? Turns out it's actually a philosophical expression often stated in Latin as "ex nihilo nihil fit" meaning that anything that exists in physical reality has its origins in and is the manifestation of something else.

Translation = "Work Dummy". It used to bother me to no end to hear my Mom tell me that "nothing comes from nothing". Partially because I was conveniently and intentionally Laissez Faire about far too many things.

Laissez Faire is a French phrase literally meaning "let do" or "leave it to be". In economics, it says that the state should never intervene in the marketplace. As an arrogant kid who didn't like his Mom telling him he should get down to work... I thought I had thought through "the system" ... and my job was to stick it to "The Man" by withholding my efforts and taking my business elsewhere. I wasn't lazy... but my idea of Takin' Care of Business was more Randy Bachman than Tony Robbins.

"I love to work at nothin' all day"


The truth is that nothing DOES come from nothing. Mom was right. The other truth is that even nothing... is something in it's own right. If you choose retreat and surrender instead of standing up and playing your part with passion... you can become critical, withdrawn, angry and you'll find yourself irrelevant and gnarled very quickly. I've been down this road and back again. The scary part is that you begin to convince yourself that "I don't want to play that stupid game anyway... and those kids who are playing are just jerks anyway. So there." You find yourself standing, arms crossed, throwing a pouty tantrum... even if you started your snit with the "best intentions".

Bad SOMETHINGS come from that kinda NOTHING. Because not only does that kind of self-indulgence have a Gollum-like effect on us... but any time people see someone walking down a road (good or bad)... some are going to follow you down it. And WE'RE accountable for that since we're accountable for our actions.

Human beings have too many good things in them to be laissez faire about life. German writer Johann Wolfgang von Goethe said,


"Treat a man as he is and he will remain as he is. Treat a man as he can and should be, and he will become as he can and should be."


There is MUCH to be done in the world and we, together, should WORK at doing it! I don't know about you, but every time I open my eyes... I can't stop thinking about what CAN or SHOULD be. The only way to make it happen is for me and you to do it!

If nothing comes from nothing... then something comes from something. And 100 somethings come from 100 somethings. And 100 people doing 100 somethings is 10,000 somethings! And if those somethings are GOOD things? Imagine what could be.

Mom's are smart. We should listen to them. It would save us some misery sometimes.

"Above all else, guard your heart for it is the wellspring of life"
Prov 4:34



2 comments:

karim said...

An insightfull post. Will definitely help.


Thanks,
Karim - Creating Power

Dave Carrol said...

Thanks Karim... appreciate you popping by my blog! You've got some good stuff on your website too :)

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...