Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

3 September 2009

Reconciled

Reconcile:
~to bring into agreement or harmony; make compatible or consistent.


I had dinner tonight with a great friend who I've known nearly as long as I've known my wife. We had some good laughs tonight looking back at what it was like growing up in Christian homes (both of which we look back at and know we were blessed to have them) in the 80's. I told the story of the day I came home from school to find that my Mom (whom I love like a mother) had discovered my Beastie Boy tape... and read the lyrics. Gulp. She had hand-written every line that included an expletive or a sexual reference. So pretty much all of them. She then proceeded to read those lines out loud to me in what was the surely the longest 15 minutes of my life. We "agreed" that this tape was surely not "as unto the Lord" and we smashed it with a hammer. (And PS... good for her... I'd likely do something similar)

My friend laughed at my story and told me that he began our college radio courses without really ever listening to the radio. Just a church kid with a Degarmo and Key album in hand and a live Carmen concert or two under his belt.

Some nights are meant for reconciliation. Not between each other. But between our laughing at some of the misplaced and misunderstood dogma of the past ... sharing our daily struggles of the living out of an effective Christian life as Dad's, Husbands and the Men we want to be ... and finding company in each others uncertainty of the future... we found some harmony and consistency in our stories.

I think that sometimes alone, it's hard to see how the past, present and future pieces of our own life fit together. Talking it out together however... makes more sense. Reconciliation... not strife, depression, confusion... both IN US and THROUGH US is our calling...


2 Corinthians 5:18-21

18All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. 20We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God. 21God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

We should all be actively enjoying and exploring this "ministry of reconciliation". All the dumb things we did, we do, and we're going to do are quite literally laughable. Our big picture is so much more beautiful. It's just a pointless thing to hold screw-ups and silly things against ourselves or others. It would not only be an incredible waste of time... not only an incredible waste of good comedy... but it would be an incredible slap in the crucified face of Jesus. "Be reconciled to God".

1 comment:

Valorosa said...

Reconciled to God is the key
To each other? Not always possible.

But always possible with God.

If everyone was reconciled to God first and true repentance and true humility abounds then we could be reconciled to each other.

There is only freedom in choosing love. If there is no love there is no freedom.

We all need to examine ourselves.

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...