Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

15 October 2009

"When you eat my food,... I don't want you to think of the cost"

I want to share with a snippet from the blog of my friend Greg Hemmings. Greg is an award winning documentary film producer with his company "Hemmings House Pictures" based out of his treasured New Brunswick... and is one truly engaging human being. He blogged yesterday on a plane over Iceland flying back from the Cannes Film Festival in France. Check this story out... it's beautiful.


"Magic hour was upon us an
d to be honest we were getting a wee bit peckish! We were winding up this mountain that would eventually lead us to Nice, the hopes of finding our last year’s castle were on our minds, we were determined to open a bottle of wine when we found it and live if only for 10 minutes the life of Santiago from the Alchemist, or of Paulo Coehelo’s other brilliant book “The Pilgram”.

About 15 minutes up the winding road from the town of Roquebilliere-Vieux heading South towards La Tour, I pulled the car over to the side of the road… remember these are French Alp roads that have no guard rails and are so thin that 2 cars can barely share the same paved real estate without one falling hundreds of meters off the Cliffside to a fiery demise (oh so dramatic!).

I stopped the car because there was a small sign that said Aubergerie Du Campo. We were hungry so we pulled over, there was a VERY small area where we could park the car, but there was no restaurant in sight. We went over to the sign and realized that there was a long and steep path that led down the cliff face down through lush vegetation to a small building with no other access. So old world. We went down and ate and incredible French meal with great French wine and French cheese that was so old and strong that I can still smell it on my fingers…uggg, yeah.

The view off the terrace where we ate was ridiculous looking over the valley with the raging Riviere St. Jean flowing past mountain cliffs with multiple waterfalls lining its river sides up hundreds of meters. Yes it was one of the most beautiful places I have ever eaten. The topper? When we asked to pay with credit card he said no, then handed us a pre-stamped envelope with 8 Euros change…change for a bill I hadn’t paid for yet! He said he has been feeding people for 17 years and has billed them with an envelope since the beginning with 100% success. Basically if you don’t have cash you go home and when you can afford to pay the meal, a week later, a year later, whatever, you pop in cash in the envelop and mail it to him! CRAZY!!! And he tried to give us change! Ha, I said “no keep the change for a tip for goodness sakes”. I can’t believe how trusting this guys is, he will be getting more than the bill when I send him payment I know that for sure…hey maybe that’s his experiment, I bet he makes more money that way because I do believe that deep down the majority of people on this earth are honest people. What a trip!

As Tidby said as his Facebook status:


Greg and I just had dinner in the French Alps. When it came time to pay, the chef (as he cooks and serves the food), gave us an envelope with the bill, and a mailing address and told us to mail him the money! The reason: "When you eat my food,... I don't want you to think of the cost". AMAZING!


I read that this morning and found it just beautiful. It put me in mind of Isaiah 55 v1:

1
"Come, all you who are thirsty,
come to the waters;
and you who have no money,
come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
without money and without cost

Both the fine French chef and God have set out a banquet table and have invited us to sit down and eat, drink, be filled... and enjoy it. It makes the soul alive.

Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare. 3 Give ear and come to me; hear me, that your soul may live
v 2-3

We're invited to taste and see that the Lord is good. But both the fine French meal in the Alps and God's banqueting table DO have a cost. Wine and Cheese are only fine because it's taken great time and cost to produce. We're only invited to the feast of heaven because of "The Lamb of God who was slain". And like Greg, who was moved by the beauty of the moment and the gesture of trust and kinship and will GLADLY go over and above to fill the restaurateur's envelope... it's much like that with God.

When you choose to accept the invitation to sit, eat, taste... pray, worship, serve, learn, talk, read with the heart's desire to know who HE is... it's beautiful and tangible what happens. Giving my life over to God who is THAT extravagant comes easy.




"I pour my vile of worship over you"

1 comment:

Meredith said...

I found the story completely beautiful, I was deeply moved.

And then.... I got to the bottom of the post and read "fragrant offering" in the music, and it completely reset my attention on the stinky French cheese. Now I'm just hungry.

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...