Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

9 November 2009

I'm better than the birds


The year that I was engaged (and broke) in college was the first time I had ever been gripped with fear about money. How in the world would I ever be able to afford my ONE life, let alone TWO lives??? There were days where, even though I knew that God had led me to where I was (and into where I was going), I barely wanted to get out of bed for fear of lack of provision. Some days I didn't.

This was the beginning of what remains the biggest struggle in my life as a Christian. It's ironic too... since God has ALWAYS asked us to throw caution to the wind so to speak and just let Him do His thing while we focus on our Mission. Almost sounds Biblical...

Matthew 6:
25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

28"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.


That year of college, the only way I made it through in one piece was to write this scripture on a piece of paper and tape it to my wall, right beside my bedroom door. I forced myself to say it out loud at least once a day. I tried to learn how to believe it, even though I didn't really believe it. And it apparently worked.

13 years, and situations too numerous to count later, I've had to do the same thing over and over and over. "I'm better than the birds. I'm better than the birds. I'm better than the birds," then I put my head down and work at what the day has presented me as a challenge.

These last few weeks have been a time where I've had to force myself to "seek ye first the kingdom of God" and choose to believe that "all these things shall be added onto you"... because I don't always feel that way. But God's built quite a case for it being true.

One thing that I did realize last night, is that I've lost a bit of the revelry I used to have in living how the world sees as foolish... but God uses to show Himself large and in charge. Krissy and I have lived in dingy apartments, orphanages with busted up beds, a hard top trailer... and it was all unquestionably God-ordained. And we were great with it, because God used our minor discomforts (and it really was only MINOR) to make His Name great. We have always been able to laugh and revel in the fantastic foolishness of it all.

I don't think I'm any less ready and willing today. I better not be since the vow of ministry I made with The Almighty was, "You take care of me and my family... and I'll do whatever you need me to do to show the world how Big you are" ... and He took the deal. What it likely means is that I need to get my game-face on because God's got something up. Fear is imaginary and easily overcomable when you give a little effort and apply a little truth. The good thing for me, is that my "game-face" is a goofy one.

So bring it on...

1 comment:

Johnny said...

A word for me, my friend.

Thanks

J

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...