Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

18 November 2009

"Savior Moments"



As a big fan of Jon Acuff's very funny and insightful writing on "Stuff Christians Like" I was excited to hear that he was turning his work into a book. Today he wrote about walking into Barnes & Noble as he's readying himself to be a "big time" writer. Here's a bit of it:

I love bookstores.

But recently I thought I was going to throw up in one.

I got all dizzy and sweaty. I felt faint and had to sit down. I lost the wonder of Tom Hanks in the toy store scene of the movie “Big.” I panicked.

Why? …

Were they out of Bassin’ Magazine? Did the shelf that contains the veritable wall of “Left Behind” books fall on my foot, crushing several, small but significant bones? Were the moleskine notebooks in the wrong section of the store? Nope. It was much worse than that ….

I realized the Stuff Christians Like book wasn’t going to save me.

I had gone to Barnes & Noble that day to research what other books were in my category. So I went through hundreds of different Christian books and hundreds of different humor books. And I couldn’t find many that were like the one I had written. Sure, Stuff White People Like and Stuff Mid Westerners Like, but there wasn’t a Christians humor section for my book to land safely in. I couldn’t find a place on the shelf were the book I wrote would fit. I started to think, “Oh no, my book is not going to sell.”

I started to think, this book experience isn’t going to change my life. It’s not going to be some financial windfall or make me famous or taller or less insecure. It’s not going to save me.

Then I got really depressed and dizzy and other words that mean the opposite of “awesome.” That’s when I remembered a truth I have learned 37 different times:

“My greatest disappointments in life are when I ask anyone or anything other than Jesus Christ to be my savior.”



Sometimes our brains just don't do us no favors. This morning in my own quiet introspection (OK it was more like moody sulking) I was wondering why every step of the way in life, even in the "victories" it always seems like you have to have faith to make it out alive.

  • Even though... you look back and life and the "God said's" turn out great
  • Even though... you realize that God even today is fulfilling His "I'm better than the birds" promises
  • Even though... you know you've gotten to where you are and are going where you're going by listening to God
  • Even though... you trust that He's got our future in His plans

We are constantly (amid the seemingly bottomless abyss of people who bombard you with "helpful advice" and "hey you should do it differently") needing to make sure that our home, our success, our marriage, our jobs, our money, our Church or our SELVES... are not our Savior. Like Jon wrote this morning, we'll never fail to be disappointed.

In my life... houses are the issue of the day. Matthew 7 has some really "lifey" things to say to me today:

24-25"These words I speak to you are not incidental additions to your life, homeowner improvements to your standard of living. They are foundational words, words to build a life on. If you work these words into your life, you are like a smart carpenter who built his house on solid rock. Rain poured down, the river flooded, a tornado hit—but nothing moved that house. It was fixed to the rock.

26-27"But if you just use my words in Bible studies and don't work them into your life, you are like a stupid carpenter who built his house on the sandy beach. When a storm rolled in and the waves came up, it collapsed like a house of cards."


Yep... that sounds pretty Jesus to me. I love verse 28

"When Jesus concluded his address, the crowd burst into applause. They had never heard teaching like this."


My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus blood and righteousness
I dare not trust the sweetest frame, but wholly lean on Jesus' Name
On Christ the Solid Rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand
All other ground is sinking sand
William Batchelder Bradbury



Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...