Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

2 November 2009

Who's afraid of big bad death?

My Grandma died this morning. If you met Mellas Moore... you knew that she was quite a character. She used WD40 on her joints to help her arthritis because if it was good enough for the hinges on the door... it was good enough for her. All of her kids, grand kids, nieces and nephews could retell you the story verbatim of how she chopped up a snake on the farm with an axe once... and we know that you NEVER use candles because of the late night mishap her and my aunt had on their way to the outhouse on the farm as kids.

Nobody made a better buttertart... and if you crossed her, she'd quite literally take you down on the floor and sit on ya. When my Grandpa got Alzheimers many years ago, she was right by his side, fighting on his behalf day in and day out. She was scrappy and tough... and she made it known to all of us that family came first.

I'm OK that she died today. In fact, in light of what The Bible says, we should be more OK with death than we usually are. This is how The Message puts 1 Corinthians 15

Death swallowed by triumphant Life!
Who got the last word, oh, Death?
Oh, Death, who's afraid of you now?

It was sin that made death so frightening and law-code guilt that gave sin its leverage, its destructive power. But now in a single victorious stroke of Life, all three—sin, guilt, death—are gone, the gift of our Master, Jesus Christ. Thank God!


I LOVE that we get to wash away other life-suckers like sin and guilt when we spend our time with the Life-giver. I LOVE that life doesn't end. Earlier in the chapter it says,

"We're not all going to die—but we are all going to be changed."


I miss the nearly weekly "family first" Sunday afternoon dinners that my Grandma used to organize. Her rhubarb pie spoiled me forever on pie. But in life... we're called to move from "glory to glory" both in heaven and on earth. Many year ago, strokes stole my Grandma's ability to communicate, walk, and live like she wished she could. Today... she has broken through to a very refreshing place of freedom. Glory to glory. This is a happy thing!

We have to be careful on earth not to feel the sting of death too harshly. Death doesn't have a sting "In the resurrection scheme of things". What death SHOULD remind about more often than it does... is that we're supposed to move from glory to glory TODAY too. For eternity, this process never stops. It's the same for my Grandma as it is for me... it's just that her vantage point is just a little bit more breathtaking than mine today.

4 comments:

Patti said...

Well, my grandma made some mighty wonderful buttertarts too ... maybe she had the same recipe as yours.

I remember knowing the hour my grandma was dying in another city, and sitting at a window, with the old song "What A Day that Will Be" rolling through my head.

Yes. Not afraid.

Dave Carrol said...

Buttertarts seemed to be the snack-dessert of the day didn't they?

Valorosa said...

;-)

Heidi Reed said...

best post of the day
rejoicing for your grandma
hope you will keep the sting repellent in your heart

heidi

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...