Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

2 January 2010

'Write a good story, take somebody with you, and let me help you'.


I just finished Donald Miller's "A Million miles in a Thousand years"... and I wish there was more to read. It's the same feeling I get when LOST finishes for the week. I want MORE. That's what good writing will do.

This book about not just sitting, reading, but WRITING & making something where there's nothing. It's written to motivate into motion. You really should head over to Amazon (here) and buy it.

From Chapter 36:

"It's interesting that in the Bible, in the book of Ecclesiastes, the only practical advice given about living a meaningful life is to find a job you like, enjoy your marriage, and obey God.

It's as though God is saying, 'Write a good story, take somebody with you, and let me help you'.

Before I learned about 'story', I was becoming a fatalist. I was starting to believe you couldn't feel meaning in life because there wasn't any meaning to be found. But I don't believe that anymore. It's a shame, because you can make good money being a writer and a fatalist. Nietzsche did it with relative success. Not personal success, mind you, because he rarely got out of bed. But he's huge with the twenty-something intellectuals. He's the Justin Timberlake of depressed Germans, and there are a lot of depressed Germans.

I don't ever want to go back to believing life is meaningless. I know there are biochemical causes for some forms of depression, but I wish people who struggle against dark thoughts would risk their hopes on living a good story-- by that I mean finding a team of people doing hard work for a noble cause, and joining them. I think they'd be surprised at how soon their sad thoughts would dissipate, if for no other reason than they didn't have the time to think them anymore. There would be too much work to do, too many scenes to write."

2 comments:

Rob Hall said...

A story is life, like breath itself. I think of how hard it is to resign yourself to being a fatalist. It would be like being a living corpse. I also think fatalism my take more effort, because even in dramatically difficult situations I am constantly trying to make sense of it, even to survive it. To suspend stories....impossible.

Dave Carrol said...

It's entirely true... and it's likely why people without a life age and deteriorate rapidly.

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...