Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

27 April 2010

I'm a picture that I'm holding of someone who is cool

I found this very thought-provoking video yesterday about the sometimes disconnect, narcissism, and ironic self-loathing-laced egotism of our current cultural trappings.




There are some astute sociological statements in this piece:

"The anonymousness of it makes me feel like I can trust it"
"There's a gap widening between the perception of myself when I'm in front of the computer and when I'm not"
"I think I end up role playing" (my Internet personality... a romanticized version of me)
"I get to be that presence watching myself"
"I don't want to look back at my youth as something I did on the computer"
"I think I want to be God"


I'll never forget when Alex Rodriquez released his infamous "Kissing myself in the mirror" picture. I couldn't figure it out then and I still can't now but what a picture of narcissism. Years ago, the Canadian band "Odds" wrote a fantastic song called "Someone who is Cool". I love the chorus:

"It was the suit that got me the gig
It was the tear that got me the girl
I'm a sheep in this wolf's clothing
I'm a picture that I'm holding of someone who is cool"

Being a picture that you're holding of someone who is cool is a pretty big risk of our culture. Kinda gives you a bit of the sick in the pit of your stomach feeling sometimes.

So it's likely the devil's doing. Burn the magic machine you're looking at right now. BURN!!!! (in an environmentally friendly way of course). If only things were like they were during Little House on the Prairie.

Actually...
... not

All cultures are flawed. There are trappings and temptations that tempt us to move away from the KINGDOM CULTURE in every setting and era of life and time. We idealize and romanticize other cultures while cowardly labeling our own as unusually cruel and beyond repair! Those happy-ranchy-horsey-farmy-folk on Christian TV are just as screwed up as we are! They just have different trappings. Saddle-envy maybe.

A few weeks ago we had a city-wide church gathering where I was in charge of leading a prayer time for "The Media". In the middle of it, I really began to realize the power Isaiah 55:11 in the age we live in:

11 It is the same with my word.
I send it out, and it always produces fruit.
It will accomplish all I want it to,
and it will prosper everywhere I send it.


My friend Chris is running for Mayor and wrote this this morning on Facebook

It's exciting to know that we are no long held hostage by the traditional media outlets...there are now a variety of ways to communicate the truth and not be held hostage by posers with a bias...you might not be able to win slander and defamation in court, but you can certainly win it in the court of public opinion...get ready


He's right about that in the public political forum... and it's just as true with the the life that God wants to bring to our world THROUGH YOU!

"The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart"
Romans 10: 8

We live in an age where EVERYONE has a voice and a platform. Right now I have 1,052 Facebook friends and 729 people following me on Twitter (not that that means anything... it's the just the number). Every single day... God has allowed me to have a life-changing word in my heart, that should come out of my mouth, backed by a promise that it won't come back void, and vehicles that allow access to thousands of ears. And so do you. And by the way... you ARE speaking a message of some description in one way or another.

The
disconnected, narcissistic, and self-loathing egotism only happens when we put the focus and base foundation on the cultural, temporal vehicles that we build as replacements for the sovereign unchanging voice of God. You know... an idol. There's nothing unique to our current culture about idols. They've been getting in man's way for thousands of years... and will continue in one form or another. They just used to look like golden cows.

The very real issues that short film depicts are prevalent and escalating but the times we live are only evil days if you let them be. People are the ones that matter... not our cultural flavors. We should never make the mistake of giving culture more importance than it deserves. But frankly... there isn't a time or place I'd rather be. We'll pick up this discussion Wednesday 9pm on FreedomHouseTV.com. Join us... I'd love to hear your thoughts.

No comments:

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...