Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

4 August 2010

Young love


Youth, large, lusty, loving-youth full of grace, force, fascination,
Do you know that Old Age may come after you with equal grace,
force, fascination?

Day full-blown and splendid-day of the immense sun, action,
ambition, laughter,
The Night follows close with millions of suns, and sleep and
restoring darkness.
"YOUTH, DAY, OLD AGE AND NIGHT" by Walt Whitman



Young love is in the air these days at Freedom House. Some young in age... and some others are just emanating "young" because of the freshness and electricity that comes with new relationships. It's very "lifey" in the house.

Because I have what the kids used to call a "starring problem", before our prayer night last night I was sitting in the back row observing about 25 vibrant young people buzzing with each other ready to interact with God. It's a blessing to be a leader in such a setting. Although, sitting with my longtime friend who's also been married for many years, we barely had to say the words to mutually recognize that as 2 of the oldest people in the room... our season of life was considerably different.

It makes a man remember and wonder at how quickly time marches.

As I watched young love stealing glances at each other, I remembered the time when Krissy (18) and I (19) were first dating. I was driving my parents old giant Ford Econoline van full of teenagers we were leading, who were not much younger than us. She was sitting on what we called the "Days of Thunder" seat. We called it that because it was a very loosely attached Captains Chair that shook like a Nascar when the van was moving. A coveted seat indeed.

I made sure that she got that seat because I could position the rear view mirror in such a way that I could both see out of the back window AND also steal "those" glances at the object of my affection. There was one moment that I'll never forget where Sting's "Fields of Gold" came on the radio and our eyes met. Whitman's, "Youth, large, lusty, loving-youth full of grace, force, fascination" was alive in that moment. Everything was young, new and full of the prospect of the titillating unknown.

I think we need the young to help us understand the value and depth of old.

I get very excited for young people in love. Even as a mere observer, part of me feels what they're feeling. As I watch their own theater playing out... I remember. Not in a wistful way because longing for a season gone by relegates the life we must live TODAY. A full, rich, thriving life.

I remember in a way that reminds me of the season of ignition. The spark that created a robust, deep fire that I'm called to not only continually stoke and sustain... but escalate and grow

No comments:

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...