Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

23 October 2010

Stats tell me you'll let other people decide your future on Monday


On Monday we vote for who will lead our city. The ideas and values of the winner will shape your home town. Well actually... stats tell me that most of you WON'T vote. Stats tell me that you'll let other people decide your future. Stats tell me that you'll use excuses like:

  • I forgot
  • I didn't know anything about who was running
  • I don't think municipal politics makes a difference
  • I didn't remember it was today
  • I don't care
  • I'm too busy
  • I kinda a dimwit so I let other people decide my future

Well I doubt you'll say the last one. But that's what you ARE saying by not voting. I know that not everyone is a political junkie. You don't have to be. But you SHOULD care enough to vote because you have the chance to have a voice in shaping your living experience. Stats tell me that you'll care enough to complain if you DON'T like it. Don't be that spaz. So do something about it.

Today, I took my son out and showed him what a democracy is about. It's not a perfect system, but it's an admirable process in which visionaries, can cast their vision and inspire men. It also enables honorable men to rise up and shape the future of their own city. It also encourage nuts to yak about nonsense. Not voting for the right people raise the chances of nuts to win. Don't let nuts win. Please.

This year, we hosted a mayoral debate (that you can watch below) where we asked the mayoral candidates for Brantford some of the questions that mattered to us. Like WHY they care and what role the church should play in our community. I will tell you that MANY of these people, I know personally, and are GREAT people. Take an hour and watch if you haven't yet... then on Monday... vote. Don't be THAT guy.



Watch live streaming video from freedomhousetv at livestream.com


Part 2

Watch live streaming video from freedomhousetv at livestream.com

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Voting is certainly an important part of living in a democratic society. But I don't agree with voting for the sake of voting.

If someone knows nothing about the issues at hand or the platform of candidates and goes in and votes based on which name he/she thinks sounds the funniest, that helps nothing. I'd rather they stay home. As far as I'm concerned, our duty is not to vote, but rather to be relatively knowledgeable about political issues so that we can make an informed vote.

So this isn't really disagreement with what you've said, just a clarification I thought was important.

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...