Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

16 October 2010

"Why" you do things is more important than "What" you do...

... and if you process it it well, the 'why' will dictate the 'what'.

I'm on the front page of the Brantford Expositor today. It's not my name on the byline of a hard hitting journalistic masterpiece. It's not the article on the right about being the politician, academic leader, or arbitrator between a big city deal.

Nope. I'm the one in the mask, cape and giant black underpants.

I grew up reading the Brantford Expositor every day. I was even a paperboy! I would read stories about how people in various walks of life would shape our community in their own way... and I was anxious for the day where I would have my adult turn to be noteworthy enough to make news with my life. It's just how I think. I'm not a quiet person eh. I live life out loud. Always have and always will. I speak, tell jokes, create scenes, communicate, teach. But it even struck me as very funny this morning that "Big Red" (or Captain Kindness) has become noteworthy enough to be a recognized local influential figure. And THAT'S why I'm on the front page! Ha!

As I've grown up, I've learned that,

WHAT you do isn't very important whatsoever UNTIL you intentionally know WHY you do it.


You get one life to live. The things you actually do today, are a part of a legacy you're writing for yourself. Most of the "whats" we do are funny, strange, imperfect, incomplete actions. Only together over time do they tell a complete story.

The Captain Kindness thing... is a goofy little thing that one day at my funeral, I truly hope some funny friend will remember and crack wise about. Because it IS funny. Ludicrous in some ways actually. And funny things happen out of it! Some entirely pointless, and some quite pointed. But it's a "what". A "what" I wouldn't do if there wasn't a why. And after the "whats" are laughed about at my funeral (since funerals SHOULD have WAY more laughter than they do), I pray that the WHY of my life is spoken about... and really taken note of. Because the why dictated those funny little temporal whats.

There was another picture yesterday of me, Brian, our MPP and possibly soon-to-be-mayor. Along with many others, the 4 of us spoke about how we can see our city changed BY good INTO good. All 4 of us believed it with all our heart.

Only 1 of us was in a leotard. But because the WHY is more important than the WHAT... each of us is supposed to use what talents, giftings and callings we've been given to influence our world... on any given day. And that can look like MANY different things on many different days. We should be willing to daily do whatever it takes (and be willing to change the medium at any given time) to communicate and implement truth. You can't ever be too proud to dance a monkey dance for someone else's freedom. Shakespeare wrote:

All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts,

(a bunch more in here)...

Last scene of all,
That ends this strange eventful history,
Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.



Paul wrote something very similar in 1 Corinthians 9 when he said, "I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some." What it means... is that what you do, doesn't matter nearly as much as why you do it.

No comments:

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...