Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

16 January 2011

We thank you Lord

Life can be very lonely and the Holy ache of eternity that drives a man forward can seem too away sometimes.

In the summer of 2000, we were asked to go to Dodawa Ghana to run a baseball program during a Scripture Union camp. It was too much for us. Quite literally. They served food I couldn't ingest. As the fat white guy, I was asked to bathe in a wide open concrete pad with 1000 naked Africa boys (not exactly an inconspicuous scenario). It was the only time that our young, North American, rookie missionary selves couldn't handle the task before us in our 7 Ghanaian months.

God actually must have agreed with us because He mercifully sent us home after only one night JUST at our breaking point. But the morning before we left, I heard a sound that resonates still DEEP DEEP within my soul when I quiet myself before my God and His creation.

Krissy and I, as young married people, spent one of the worst and longest nights of our coddled lives away from each other in the middle of rural African culture shock. We whined and complained, as bold, mature, African leaders prepared to spend a week powerfully sharing Jesus with thousands of spiritually hungry kids. We woke to a meal of tea and bread and an hour long morning devotion and worship session that included about 50 men and women singing a song that echoes in my spirit to this day.

I've searched for it on YouTube for many years but I've never found it. I wish I could. In all my days, I've yet to hear anything with the raw, honest power as these Ghanaian folks singing the simple refrain of:

We thank you Lord
We thank you Lord
We thank you Jehovah Almighty
We thank you Lord
We thank you Lord
We thank you Jehovah Almighty

This was a peculiarly lonely weekend spiritually for me. I felt very isolated by what lives inside my temple combined with the shortcomings and unfaithfulness of man... including myself. Today God threw me a bone and encouraged me through friends. But tonight, remembering this moment in Dodawa, reminded me once again of the massive sheer number of brethren that labor alongside me around the world. Daily dying. Thanking their Jesus all the way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We sing this at our church in Vancouver, BC often. I came across your blog when I was searching to see if this was a song to which I could find sheet music or if I would have to try to write music for. (And you're right, it's beautiful)

Anonymous said...

I coud be wrong, but that is the whole song in its entirety.

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...