Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

9 August 2011

A Grander Vision of the Political Right: PART 1


In the first few episode's of "The West Wing", the character of Josh Lyman (fictional deputy chief of White House staff) has a brilliant conversation with his assistant Donna that quickly shows the differences between the fundamental Left and Right. It's called, "I want my money back." They are, in an exaggerated tongue-in-cheek manor, discussing what the Democratic government should do with a budget surplus.

Donna Moss: What's wrong with me getting my money back?
Josh Lyman: You won't spend it right.
Donna Moss: What do you mean?
Josh Lyman: Let's say your cut of the surplus is $700. I want to take your money, combine it with everybody else's money and use it to pay down the debt and further endow Social Security. What do you want to do with it?
Donna Moss: Buy a DVD player.
Josh Lyman: See?
Donna Moss: But my $700 is helping employ the people who manufacture and sell DVD players, not to mention the people who manufacture and sell DVDs. It's the natural evolution of a market economy.
Josh Lyman: The problem is the DVD player you buy might be made in Japan.
Donna Moss: I'll buy an American one.
Josh Lyman: We don't trust you.
Donna Moss: Why not?
Josh Lyman: We're Democrats.
Donna Moss: I want my money back.
Josh Lyman: You shouldn't have voted for us.

A few thoughts:
  1. I'm glad DVD players don't cost 700 bucks anymore
  2. Good luck finding a DVD player made in America
  3. I want my money back too... but not to buy a DVD player with

I want to blog a bit in an effort to dispel some myths about the political right, while agreeing with some of it's criticisms too in an effort to communicate a grander vision of the right and pose some action steps to national freedom and prosperity.

I grew up reading every newspaper I could get my hands on. When our family would go away on vacation I'd sneak away up to the front desk or make up an excuse to go into town to find a newspaper and catch up on what was happening in the world. When I got home, the first thing I'd do was read the local papers I'd missed cover to cover before I felt it was OK to continue on pretending to enjoy adolescence. One of my favorite books growing up was Pierre Berton's "The Last Spike." I hate the term political junkie, but growing up I knew the important role government played in the prosperity of my nation. As a Gen Xer many of the political games were, and still are, detestable to me... but the process, characters and results were extraordinarily exciting.

John Diefenbaker is the political figure who most inspired me as a teenager. He said:

"I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

... and during his nomination speech at the 1956 PC leadership convention said:

"I have one love - Canada; one purpose - Canada's greatness; one aim - Canadian unity from the Atlantic to the Pacific."

I turned 18 in 1994. It was the age I had been anxiously awaiting. Driving at 16 was OK but I had been "borrowing" my the Carrol Toyota Camry unbeknownst to my parents long before 16. Drinking at 19 seemed exciting at one point, but by the time I had reached my actual birthday... my worldview had changed drastically and I had already come through my era of excessive drinking and began a decade of complete abstinence shortly after I was "legally" allowed to buy a case of beer. No... voting at 18 was the only one that really mattered because it was the only age milestone I wasn't able to usurp and it was the one that would MEAN something more.

On a Federal and Provincial level, I've only not voted Conservative (or a form of it) once when I just couldn't bring myself to vote for a candidate for whom I couldn't muster enough respect to vote for. It has ALWAYS resonated in me as principally the best way to govern a country or province; even though I could see holes of humanity in the story.

The shortcomings are just as vast as other systems, so I reserve my HOPE for higher places. But I recently have openly and actively pursued working with and for Conservative representatives in my city. I GLADLY honor and serve those who are my elected leaders from every party and philosophy and I believe it's my job as a Christian and citizen to help them succeed and pray fervently for their prosperity. But I'm now on the EDA Board for the Conservative Party in Brantford and have decided to allocate a chunk of my time, effort and voice to the political realm.

Over the next little while, I want lay out some of the reason's why I think there is a grander vision of the political right that some miss and others need to be inspired again to rally behind. There is a missing voice in the story that needs telling.


No comments:

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...