Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

22 March 2012

"We're like... SO broken up"



Often on my lunch break when the weather is warm, I'll drive over to a park that overlooks the City of Hamilton. I'll recline my seat, roll down the windows, close my eyes and just soak in the sounds for a while.

I always hope for peaceful sounds of birds, distant horns and sirens from the downtown below and the pleasant chit chat of strollers. Today I had the "fortune" of having what was likely an 18 year old couple pull up beside me... to fight. Oh Joy.

"We're like... SO broken up" she shouted like a Jersey Shorian. "I only came up here to tell you what an a*****e you are and to give you back your s**t!"
"Oh you're not going anywhere until you tell me where you were yesterday when you said you were at f*****g MacDonalds" he cleverly retorted.
She, now in a full out reality show flap screamed, "I was at f*****g MacDonalds with my sister and you're a ...."

It went on from there.

They were aware of the presence of others but really didn't care as the wave of emotion swept them away into deep waters. They violently hurled the minutia of life at each other like mini throwing stars, causing walls of defense to be raised and counter-attacks of half truth and hurt-arrows to be launched. Over the course of an hour, they had drawn battle lines & accepted the terms on the line, waged war, mutually lost, wept together and signed the treaty. After overcoming MacDonalds-Gate and clearly recommitting their undying love to one another, they made out in the car... while park-walkers peered, giggled and judged.

All I could think was... "I wish that this kind exchange was an unfamiliar one to me." It was the drama of young relationships that is somewhat inescapable. Everything seems larger than it is and sensitivity is heightened because the emotion of love is such a strong one; and perilously troding on uncharted ground can leave even the best of us feeling exposed and susceptible to even uncharacteristic volatility.

I hope they make it. I hope they learn to speak well of each other. I hope they learn to take a deep breath before making accusations. I hope they learn to make love a choice; instead of a feeling. I hope that they don't make "breaking up" a threat in war. Whether we'll admit it or not... we all deal with some degree of insecurity and need to know that the person on our team is committed to being there. I hope for these two because I've been there and I know that with right choices, they can make it too. Being young is tough.

“It is currently said that hope goes with youth, and lends to youth the wings of a butterfly; but I fancy that hope is the last gift given to man, and the only gift not given to youth. Youth is pre-eminently the period in which a man can be lyric, fanatical, poetic; but youth is the period in which a man can be hopeless. The end of every episode is the end of the world. But the power of hoping through everything, the knowledge that the soul survives its adventures, that great inspiration comes to the middle-aged: God has kept that good wine until now.”

—G. K. Chesterton

1 comment:

Matthew Muise said...

Its funny Dave that you wrote the quotes of what was said

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...