Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

25 August 2012

I don't vacation well




"The best laid plans of mice and men go oft astray"
Robert Burns


The Apostle Paul admitted to the Biblical types that "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do" Hot Damn. If the stinkin' Apostle Paul didn't understand why he can't do what he wants, what chance do I have? I find Paul's words a contrary cocktail of disturbing and comfort.

I wanted to have a good vacation. I did. We planned it all out. My mother-in-law had my darling kids for the week and my ever-young wife and I had the week to ourselves. Our best laid plans were based around a solid foundation of pretending we were unrestricted, adventure-seeking young adults. We'd sleep when we wanted. We'd ride bikes. We'd pay no mind to traditional dining times. Wild wild times for parents of 3 younguns.

But I don't vacation well. I checked my email too often to escape. We fought too much to find much rest and connection. We didn't couldn't scrounge together nearly enough adventure to satisfy the deeper needs of neither mice nor men. We went astray. And there was no good reason why.

There is no moral or grandiose point at the end of my tale. Nor is there great lament or even a hint of whine. Because that's just life sometimes. Plans OFT go astray. And it's not the end of the world. It's truthfully barely a blip. It doesn't mean a marriage is in trouble. It doesn't mean it was a waste. Shoot... I rode my bike for the first time in a couple years (even though I hated almost all of that torturous hour and my damaged arm and non-meaty butt STILL ache). But we DID look at the young, trendy hipsters and say, "SEE... we're YOU today."

GK Chesterton says:

"To youth, the end of every episode is the end of the world. But the power of hoping through everything, the knowledge that the soul survives its adventures, that great inspiration comes to the middle-aged"


... and he's right. We'll rejig holidays next time, and those plan might fail too.



No comments:

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...