Writer, Church leader, Eccentric Nut, Marketer

I'm Church Leader, Writer, Speaker, Marketer, Kindness Project Founder, Broadcaster and Superhero. But most important I'm a Husband, Father and a worshiper of Jesus.

23 September 2012

Me and my Queen


I got a pretty amazing letter from the Government of Canada and the Province of Ontario this week. It said that I am about to get a medal.  A MEDAL medal. From the QUEEN kinda medal.

It's called the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee medal. It's OFFICIAL reasoning is:

"A new commemorative medal was created to mark the 2012 celebrations of the 60th anniversary of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II’s accession to the Throne as Queen of Canada. The Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal is a tangible way for Canada to honour Her Majesty for her service to this country. At the same time, it serves to honour significant contributions and achievements by Canadians."

... and is presented to someone who has made:

"... a significant contribution to a particular province, territory, region or community within Canada, or an achievement abroad that brings credit to Canada." 

It also says that I have to be alive as of last February. So that part I got covered... in spades. I was the alivenest guy around last February.

I was understandably shocked.  I've never had a more replied to tweet or liked Facebook status
People's reactions have been IN-credible. I couldn't feel more humbled and I'm sure that I'm going to have more to say about this after October 6th when I receive it. I'm not one to make a big deal... but when I think about what my Grandfather's war medals from the Queen meant to him and generations of family, I know that this token that will forever speak to my kids of the value of community service onto our God.  This IS a big deal.

I wanted to share something important about my relationship between me and my Queen. For as long as I could remember, I didn't understand the "Royal" thing.  I couldn't imagine why our clearly independent nation was hanging on to an "archaic" monarchy set up.  It's not that I didn't LIKE the Queen, I just didn't get her. We didn't have lots in common. But then again I'm a Gen Xer.  There isn't anything Gen X hates more than everything.  My whole life I've considered EVERYTHING bunk until proven otherwise.  Often this insistence has proven me prophetic.  Sadly just as often, if not MORE often, it's caused me to admit and accept my haste and self-centered bent when proven wrong.

Then a couple of years ago I began to talk extensively about honoring our leaders.  I believe that, even when it's not easy because we don't understand the logic or their rationale, it's still a GODLY principle.  I read this again in Romans 13:

"Everyone must submit to governing authorities. For all authority comes from God, and those in positions of authority have been placed there by God. So anyone who rebels against authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and they will be punished. For the authorities do not strike fear in people who are doing right, but in those who are doing wrong. Would you like to live without fear of the authorities? Do what is right, and they will honor you. The authorities are God’s servants, sent for your good. But if you are doing wrong, of course you should be afraid, for they have the power to punish you. They are God’s servants, sent for the very purpose of punishing those who do what is wrong.So you must submit to them, not only to avoid punishment, but also to keep a clear conscience." 

And then God convicted me.  He convicted me quick, hard and clear.  I am a SUBJECT of the Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and of Her other Realms and Territories, Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith. And if I'm CALLED to honor her... I need to honor her.  In fact, it was in her name and:

 "To the Glory of God through the service of youth" 

... that my kid's school was dedicated. See...



So I SUBJECTED myself to her majesty quietly.  And it changed me... and FREED me.  During the Olympics this summer, I actually wept during "God save the Queen" on a Friday night before going to serve food to the poor.  I left my home that night wanting to honor my God and Queen. A VAST change from years before.   The Queen's Annual Christmas addresses have been very moving to me.  See last year's whole thing here but she encouraged us that:

 "Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves - from our recklessness or our greed. God sent into the world a unique person - neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Savior, with the power to forgive"
Queen Elizabeth 

Preach it my Queen. This was living word spoken from a high place.  A place that God has ALLOWED to exist and be in authority.  And like the Biblical Timothy told us, I pray for her because the fruit of it is living "peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness." Not a shabby way to live.

In 2 weeks, I'm going to receive a medal from my Queen because I share her value of serving community and country.  It is the highest honor I've ever received and I plan on using it to give praise onto my HIGH King the Lord Jesus Christ in whom I live and move and have my being. 

God save the Queen.

No comments:

Related Blogs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...